Is sand blasting sand safe for aquarium use?

Mikeshadow4k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
I was wondering if sandblasting sand safe for aquariums.I was going to switch my white sand to something like black,tan or garnet sand.But the only garnet sand i could find online was the type they use for sandblasting.I have bichirs and other oddball fish and wanted to switch to a different color sand to help bring out the bichirs true colors.

Reactions: tlindsey

Mikeshadow4k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
View attachment 1259280 Black diamond blasting sand is in my tank. I got the ultra fine sand. It's not completely black, but it's very dark brown.
What grit size are y'alls black diamond abrasive? Also what size would you reccomend for bichirs and eel's. T thefredpit Fish Tank Travis Fish Tank Travis

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
the last time I used medium 12-40 this time I think it is fine 20-40 personally I prefered the medium 12-40. I had peacock eels and a tire track eel in the medium grit and they had no problem burrowing through it and it doesn't get kicked up like the fine grit does. However my fire eel that is on the fine grit and pool filter sand does not burrow but my bichirs do kick it up when they jet off.

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
It works fine for most people, but some people, myself includes, ended up getting bags of the black diamond blasting sand that came with what looked like glass shards.

This thread has a good picture of what I'm talking about.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/29-substrate/147593-black-sand-6.html

I had it in a few tanks that didn't have bottom dwellers, and every time I would stir up the blasting sand, I would end up with slivers stuck in my hand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store