Is this already Platinum?

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Hello MFK,

Today i found a Polypterus Delhezi at my local pet shop. He looked extremely white and had no red eyes...i thought it could be some kind of Platinum coloring...but he still got stripes. I immediately bought him, becaus in every case he's very beautiful (white with black stripes :D).
My question is, if this is a platinum Poly, a very pale Poly or something else?
(A estimation of the value would be interesting to)

I look forward to your answers :D
Best regards.

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Just a little bit, i've been hoping, that i found something rare^^
Where is the difference to platinum? Is it the stripes?

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Just a little bit, i've been hoping, that i found something rare^^
Where is the difference to platinum? Is it the stripes?
How to tell the difference: all of these can appear white-ish

1. Platinum= some pigment= typically in the eyes( at least with polys). Color is all white in high-quality platinums. The scientific name for platinum is "leucistic." This means that there is minimal pigment, thus producing an almost iridescent white color, but there still is pigment in the eyes and sometimes nose, ends of body parts. Think like a white tiger. There are some lower grade platinums where there will be a few gray spots on the fish. Or for overall coloration, they will take on a slightly grayish or yellow hue in areas.

2. Albino= no pigment. Red eyes. All white or slightly pinkish/yellow coloration. Think albino Senegal.

3. washed out due to environment= typically when polys are adjusting to a new habitat or if the substrate is all white, they will appear to take on a lighter coloration. This can range from patterns looking dull or areas on the poly appeared super light. If you look at your delhezi you can see that it does appear to have washed out patterns/ the top part of its body looks super white. This might be washed out, it might not.

How to tell the difference between a low-grade platinum or just washed out:
put in a tank with black or red substrate and wait for a few weeks. You are all ready doing this! Great! Some people will also do bare-bottom tanks, but I personally do not agree with this longterm for the environmental enrichment/ health of the fish.

Good luck and keep us posted with some pics! Either way, you have a beautiful delhezi!!!! :)

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
How to tell the difference: all of these can appear white-ish

1. Platinum= some pigment= typically in the eyes( at least with polys). Color is all white in high-quality platinums. The scientific name for platinum is "leucistic." This means that there is minimal pigment, thus producing an almost iridescent white color, but there still is pigment in the eyes and sometimes nose, ends of body parts. Think like a white tiger. There are some lower grade platinums where there will be a few gray spots on the fish. Or for overall coloration, they will take on a slightly grayish or yellow hue in areas.

2. Albino= no pigment. Red eyes. All white or slightly pinkish/yellow coloration. Think albino Senegal.

3. washed out due to environment= typically when polys are adjusting to a new habitat or if the substrate is all white, they will appear to take on a lighter coloration. This can range from patterns looking dull or areas on the poly appeared super light. If you look at your delhezi you can see that it does appear to have washed out patterns/ the top part of its body looks super white. This might be washed out, it might not.

How to tell the difference between a low-grade platinum or just washed out:
put in a tank with black or red substrate and wait for a few weeks. You are all ready doing this! Great! Some people will also do bare-bottom tanks, but I personally do not agree with this longterm for the environmental enrichment/ health of the fish.

Good luck and keep us posted with some pics! Either way, you have a beautiful delhezi!!!! :)
Thank you for this great explanation :D
I don't think mine is washed out. I talked to the guys at the petshop befor buying him. They had him a view weeks and he stayed white.
But my tank has a completely black substrate so i have the best condition to go sure. The only thing that changed in the last days was, that hist black stripes got more intense and it seems like his fins got just a little yellow touch.
I'll keep updating this thread :)

Reactions: Matteus and clm08k

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Little update:
Day seven on black substrate and he's still white :D
(Maby 3-5 grey pigments around his nose..like freckles^^)
Unfortunately i hadn't the time to take a good image.
I'll catch this up the next days.

)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store