It’s finally happening, but it’s actually happening

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
So excited for this. I’m building a pond that should be 8-12 feet long. It will be oval-ish, and around 5-7 feet wide. It will be 3-4 feet deep.

We’ve Decided to do pond liner, and you can’t convince me out of it (sorry). We will do a double layer, just in case it does leak.

We are building a retaining wall around 18-30” high for multiple reasons. It’s nicer to see the fish from above a wall. We have tortoises that sometimes escape their area, and we don’t want them falling in. We can also sit and watch koi. The wall will be built out of blocks that ‘peg’ together. I’m not sure how to explain it, but I will when we get there.

Right now my plan is to stock with koi. I wont get an exact dimension of the pond, but it should be anywhere from 1,000-2,000, however probably around the mid 1k. I don’t know how many can fit in this, not many, but a rough number of how many will fit could be nice. I’ve also thought of buying a lot of koi as smaller ones, and then as the get bigger selling them off and leaving us with the ones we like best. Are there any other fish that are communal and could work in an unheated pond?

Consulting with a pond guy today. Been in the business for a long time, and we’re hoping to get some ideas and questions answered by him.
Are you talking about 1000 koi fish? if you are can you put a picture of the bill up when you get it I could only imagine what they would cost. I had a pond in Connecticut and had some koi fish but I also went to the pet store and bought a bunch of regular goldfish and they got the size of the koi I got the ones with the patterns and I really couldn't tell them apart when they were bigger I'm sure people who are koi connoisseurs can. Sounds like an amazing Pond good luck. As far as the pond liner what else would you use besides that just out of curiosity because that's all I have ever used. I lost a couple fish to birds until I put a net over it

• Haha
Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Are you talking about 1000 koi fish? if you are can you put a picture of the bill up when you get it I could only imagine what they would cost. I had a pond in Connecticut and had some koi fish but I also went to the pet store and bought a bunch of regular goldfish and they got the size of the koi I got the ones with the patterns and I really couldn't tell them apart when they were bigger I'm sure people who are koi connoisseurs can. Sounds like an amazing Pond good luck. As far as the pond liner what else would you use besides that just out of curiosity because that's all I have ever used. I lost a couple fish to birds until I put a net over it
lol no not 1000 gallons. Read the rest of the thread or the last couple posts to see new updates.

Reactions: Tj203

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
That would be ridiculous because Dad will make him find all the gravel that blow out throughout the neighborhood.
Given his approach to common sense thus far during his project, I wager that gravel wouldn't be the only form of debris flying through the neighbourhood.

If you gave The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow dynamite he himself would also be flying through the neighbourhood, lol.

Is it a bird, is it a plane.....no.....it's surfer dude, lol.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Given his approach to common sense thus far during his project, I wager that gravel wouldn't be the only form of debris flying through the neighbourhood.

If you gave The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow dynamite he himself would also be flying through the neighbourhood, lol.

Is it a bird, is it a plane.....no.....it's surfer dude, lol.
We must make sacrifices for the cause. Some wimp @ss neighbors would complain to the cops about noise and destruction. But it would sure clear out those roots!

A small stick = 1,000 gallon hole
One bundle tied to a drum = 15,000 gallon hole

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Never thought about explosives…I’m sure esox could spare me a bit.
I'll bet that most people who know you would contribute to the cause...

But we would miss the spectacle of you "panning for gravel"...

You should have a TV crew filming this project. You could call the show "California Gravel Hunters"...portray it as some kind of death-defying daredevil thing, fraught with peril from various sources: angry parents, killer thorns, blisters, sunburn, mosquitoes...ill-fitting sandals...dirty hair...

This could be the genesis of a whole new genre of television: Surreality TV.

Can't wait...

• Haha
Reactions: esoxlucius
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store