I've messed up

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
You're going to regret getting pool filter/play sand. That stuff is too fine.
I used playsand, which is finer than poolsand for my 55. It was more work than I thought it would be, but after the fact, I wouldn't trade it in for anything else. I have a DIY reverse undergravel filter and plenty of plants so I wanted a fine substrate. I also liked the look of it and the $4.50 for substrate in a 55. The first time I put in the sand, I hadn't washed it enough, and it clouded up my water something terrible. taking it out, scoop by scoop took 15 minutes, and once washed, it settled to the bottom without making anything clouudy pretty fast.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree play sand is too fine, and easily gets sucked into, and ruins filters.
PFS is much heavier, made to be backwashed so settles quickly.
I have used PFS for decades with Geophagines and to me, it is perfect.
I never go to LFS to get it though.
Pool supply companies, or local abrasives companies are where I go, and 50lb bag is usually around $5.
It even looks like Geophagine natural habitat. Below an underwater pic from the Mendahuaca river I took in Colombia.
fullsizeoutput_302.jpeg

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
you can suck the old sand out with a gravel vac, just take the but tube off and you the hose. it will suck it right out.

I hate letting the cloud settle. To me, that just means that there is stuff in my tank that has the chance to get stirred back up eventually.

I dump the sand into a 5 gallon bucket, add water, an then mix it with a drill with a cement mixing attachment. Let it settle and dump the cloudy water and extra fine particles. Repeat till clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store