I've messed up

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
I had 3 180g tanks crack on me when i filled them.. new. i had to remove 300lbs of sand each time. Its not bad, go get a flat gardening hand shovel and go at it. Also pool filter sand isnt super fine it doesnt float or cloud when you move it. I drained and filled it up each time.
Wow. That sucks. Smh.
But I got. Plastic dust pan

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Leave the sand that is in it!!! Your geos will be fine, you do not want to deal with fine sand getting into your filter as Duanes mentioned.
It's too late. I scoop half it already and I got half on the other side. Pile up

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
You got rinse the sand well and you will have no cloud. I learned this the hard way. That cloud of sand will chew through impellers so fast you won't know what hit you.
I wish I knew this 4 months ago.
I used a little plastic box the size of shoebox, and rinsed the sand in there, bit by bit. No hose, carried the water to the backyard bucket by bucket. works just fine. Just make sure it is really rinsed or you will regret it.
Also be careful moving any substrate in and out of a tank, especially sand. You can scratch up a glass tank or completely destroy an acrylic one with no effort at all.
Thanks a lot. Iight. F it. I'll do that. I'll take out the rest of the sand.
Wash my new sand and scoop it up and dump it throw the pvc

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Is there a reason I can't make a hill or moutain with the sand I currently have in the tank
Is it because it will get mixed up or cause of gas

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
You will have a hard time making a big hill as the sand doesn't stack well. The reason not to is you might get gas in there. If you have catfish or cichlids or cyprinids they may choose to make little hills for you. I have a reverse undergravel filter and burrowing snails, so I don't have to worry about it, but I'm assuming you don't, so don't encourage hills unless you want to gravel vac frequently. Gravel vacing will slowly kill your plants.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
You will have a hard time making a big hill as the sand doesn't stack well. The reason not to is you might get gas in there. If you have catfish or cichlids or cyprinids they may choose to make little hills for you. I have a reverse undergravel filter and burrowing snails, so I don't have to worry about it, but I'm assuming you don't, so don't encourage hills unless you want to gravel vac frequently. Gravel vacing will slowly kill your plants.
Cool
No I don't have a undergravel filter
I have two plants in my 30G. I'm not getting no plant is this tank

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
IMG_8633.JPG

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I guess that is a hill. You are right. Its just that the hills I made with the gravel I had before were much bigger.

Reactions: Ilovefishes24
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store