I've messed up

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
you can suck the old sand out with a gravel vac, just take the but tube off and you the hose. it will suck it right out.

I hate letting the cloud settle. To me, that just means that there is stuff in my tank that has the chance to get stirred back up eventually.

I dump the sand into a 5 gallon bucket, add water, an then mix it with a drill with a cement mixing attachment. Let it settle and dump the cloudy water and extra fine particles. Repeat till clear.
Lmaoo I don't have no mixer lol
But I'll try dumping it into the pvc pipe after I've washed it

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Yep. Just cut the top of the baggie open and stuff a hose in there. Put the hose pressure pretty low and then just sift the sand. Dump water really carefully. The nasty stuff should float to the top and the sand should stay in the bag or bucket.

It's like washing a bag of rice kinda sorta haha. I always use sand so I'm a pro. Heh.

Reactions: Ilovefishes24

Ilovefishes24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2017
Yep. Just cut the top of the baggie open and stuff a hose in there. Put the hose pressure pretty low and then just sift the sand. Dump water really carefully. The nasty stuff should float to the top and the sand should stay in the bag or bucket.

It's like washing a bag of rice kinda sorta haha. I always use sand so I'm a pro. Heh.
Lmaoo really. Lol omg. I'll try that when I get home
Hopefully it goes good

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Slythy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2015
I had 3 180g tanks crack on me when i filled them.. new. i had to remove 300lbs of sand each time. Its not bad, go get a flat gardening hand shovel and go at it. Also pool filter sand isnt super fine it doesnt float or cloud when you move it. I drained and filled it up each time.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I hate letting the cloud settle. To me, that just means that there is stuff in my tank that has the chance to get stirred back up eventually.
You got rinse the sand well and you will have no cloud. I learned this the hard way. That cloud of sand will chew through impellers so fast you won't know what hit you.
you can suck the old sand out with a gravel vac, just take the but tube off and you the hose. it will suck it right out.
I wish I knew this 4 months ago.
Lmaoo I don't have no mixer lol
But I'll try dumping it into the pvc pipe after I've washed it
I used a little plastic box the size of shoebox, and rinsed the sand in there, bit by bit. No hose, carried the water to the backyard bucket by bucket. works just fine. Just make sure it is really rinsed or you will regret it.
Also be careful moving any substrate in and out of a tank, especially sand. You can scratch up a glass tank or completely destroy an acrylic one with no effort at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store