Jack Dempsey Breeding

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
Okay a minor Update. I did a 70% water change and rearranged the decor like you suggested and raised the temp to 85-87* (It is slowly climbing currently at 82*) When I began the water change they did not seemed to be disturbed by it or anything they came out and were swimming parallel to each other both had their stripes on. As of now though they are hiding in their cave I will post pics and another update in a few days.

Thanks again for the help:D

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
That's good that you've got the tank ready for them, but you need to add the dithers to see what happens.

Good Luck
-Jill :)

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
I will be doing that later today but they are very active and the female and male are showing bright colors. Her tube may be down just slightly but she was pooping when I checked on her so not sure if that was what it was, she is also very fat looking. I have another pair I believe as they are showing signs of being a pair... The male is 3.5-4" and the female is 3-3.25" and have saw you bred yours about that size. I only have a spare 10 gallon would they spawn in that or is it to small even if they are the only fish in there. They are currently in a 55 gallon community tank.

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
I have found another pair in my community tank and I only have a spare 10 gallon. Is this to small for them to breed if they are the only things in there and if the tank is highly filtrated and water changes every other day? Male is 3.5"-4" and female is 3"-3.25".

Rmacneill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2008
michigan
you might try what worked for me and my green terrors....I let the temp in my tank drop slowly about 15 degrees over a monthe time and shortend the light time by a few hours to simulate a season change, then went back up to normal light/temp gradually and added some driftwood. bingo....now they spawn once every month! also what sort of traffis do you have near tank. to many moveing or shadow castings will put them on edge. You might also try a bit of live food for egg production. good luck:)

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
Update: 5 days have gone by and still no eggs. They are digging pits but have been doing that a for a few days with still no eggs. I guess I just have to face the facts that they are no longer a pair.:(

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Update: 5 days have gone by and still no eggs. They are digging pits but have been doing that a for a few days with still no eggs. I guess I just have to face the facts that they are no longer a pair.:(
Give them some more time & see what happens...
Also, if the tank is in a high traffic area even if they are ready to spawn... they won't because of all the movement.

You can try to cover the tank up for a few days & using light for days & night lights for night or just off if you don't have night lights.

Try this & see if leaving them alone will work. Just feed them early in the mornings.

Good Luck
-Jill ;)

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
They are in a high traffic area but I didn't think it was a problem as they did spawn there before but I will try that as they do seem a bit skittish of all the movement. I will try those tips thanks again Jill will post an update in a few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store