Jack Dempsey Breeding

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
The temp in the tank is 79- 80ish. I just did a water change last week a big one of about 75% and they seem to be reacting to it. They have dug out the rocks under the cave again and are out swimming a bit more but I don't know if they are in the 'mood'. I have attempted to feed them beef heart but they just let it sink and rot in the tank.

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
I don't know if I put this but I am sure I did they still have 1 fry that managed to survive the entire time and that is the only logical thing I can think off pretty much. They still do seem like they care for him as they can watch him and not eat him and then they still seem to spit food out of their gills for him.

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
Hm.. Okay thanks. I have gave them 3 earth worms that I could find. It was not 3 each it looked like the female had two and the male had one. Their colors seem to have brighten up but that is it.

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
Update: I am feeding the pair 3 nightcrawlers a day. I have been giving the female 2 and the male only one should I give them each an equal number or should I give the male/female more? They seemed to love them and are out more and active. I also feed them some good quality cichlid pellets. I have also heard of raising/lowering the temp. The temp is currently at 80* if it is raised what is it raised to? And if it is lowered what is it lowered to? Thanks in advance.

Tojo09

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Bay Area CA
Ive breed ebjd and jds for years. can be pretty easy but a few.pairs were tricky. Heres my advice. Raise temp to 86-87. Feed fome market shrimp. This will get the femalr going. Throw a dither like a 4 rd or something of the like. Do a 70 water change. After letting the water.get a lil dirty. Should breed that night. Declutter the tank some and make sure you got pots or slate for them to breed. You should be good

JackDempseyLove

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2011
Kansas
Yes Jill sadly I have been... I don't know if it is me doing something wrong or if they just don't have the love for each other anymore. They are the only ones in the tank with plently of breeding spots but alas nothing has happened. I do not have dither fish in the tank as of now but my JD's are very friendly and I doubt that they would even attack anything, but I could be wrong. They were being bullied by a 2" convict:ROFL:

Jillfishie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
USA
Yes Jill sadly I have been... I don't know if it is me doing something wrong or if they just don't have the love for each other anymore. They are the only ones in the tank with plently of breeding spots but alas nothing has happened. I do not have dither fish in the tank as of now but my JD's are very friendly and I doubt that they would even attack anything, but I could be wrong. They were being bullied by a 2" convict:ROFL:
Well hun...
You've tried every trick in the book.
All I can suggest is a dither or two (Convicts are fine) and you said you have plenty of them.

I would do a 70 percent water change, rearrange your tank & add the dithers for about a week.
Keep them on a good diet.. cont. the worms & use any other live food you can to stimulate them & keep the temp @ about 86*
If you still don't get any results you'll know the (2) fish you have are incompatible & you can start looking for another female.

-Jill ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store