Jack & Salvini 40 Breeder

Shad27

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2015
Just curious for those have have kept Sals what the growth rate was like?
In one year it will be about 6-7 inch if you watch it it will seem like it's taking forever but they grow they are very smart I have one that's two in in my 125 NV been nipped or nothing they know when to hide and when to come out they are very smart fish and bit of bullies I would say to something that picks on anything that's there size

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I think Salvini aggression is way overrated ....I have one w/ JDs and they are all the same size and there IS no boss. They all seem neutral .....but the JDs are growing faster than the Salvini thus far and they are both mellow enough to get along w/ a small GT, Balzanii and an unidentified peaceful Acara-like Cichlasoma. I had another Salvini that was killed by FMs or an EBA, not sure which though.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Give it time Frank.
From my own experience with salvini is they can be ruthless, They are stunning looking centrals but I will probably never keep them again because of this.Even in big tanks they can be a nightmare. They also grow bigger than most people expect.

Reactions: ehh

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Give it time Frank.
From my own experience with salvini is they can be ruthless, They are stunning looking centrals but I will probably never keep them again because of this.Even in big tanks they can be a nightmare. They also grow bigger than most people expect.
compared to the rest of the stuff I got? lol

Reactions: Hendre

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
It will work as long as it works, ya know? They get sick of each other in a month or six months. However, I think you'll be pushing it in six months.
This. This is the truth when it comes to this hobby.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I wouldn't put another jack Dempsey. I think you're more likely to see aggression with two of the same species instead of two different species.
However, salvini are nortoriously nasty fish so keep that in mind.
If the 40 gallon is a long term thing and you only have one of the fish right now I wouldn't add another fish.
I've had different experiences.

1. Had a male JD get to 8"+ in a year.

2. People always say salvini are nasty, but I have never owned a nasty one. But in a tank that size, no way the two will coexist.

IMO a female salvini would be nice for that tank. They only get 6" and gorgeous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store