Just bought an Alligator Turtle. Help!

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
Matteus Matteus

Hahahaha will do. I'm trying to catch him eat. Was close yesterday as one of the Guppies looked like it was picking food out his mouth but then swam away... = (

I will check out that filter and will have some update pictures shortly.

Reactions: Matteus

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
One more thing about the size of tank- you want more of a footprint than height. A 125 tall tank is garbage for this kind of turtle. You want to give it room to turn around and whatnot when it grows. They don’t need as deep water but will need a turning radius.
Agreed and very very good point! Did you see the 150-year-old ATS on youtube? It looked like it was in a 150 gallon and while I wasn't crazy about it being in that size I realize, these guys barely move so they don't need all that space. But having room to turn and what not is super important.

If you think of anything else do not hesitate to mention it. Same for everyone else.

I really appreciate all the input and advice. Trust me I will have way more questions as we move forward with him. This will be a journey we will all take together..... I will just do the heavy lifting and responsibility stuff = )

Thanks,

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Grab some worms from a bait shop or petco. Then you should be able to see it eat.

just remember if you are trying to hand feed get some tongs or something so you don’t get nipped. The neck is the same length as the shell, also same as the tail. When they sit with mouth open usually there is still a bit there so they can ambush whatever is trying to take a look at the piece of skin in their mouth (not actually its tongue). But I’m sure you have already read that somewhere lol.

Reactions: Bowser Frey

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
I read that, seen youtube videos of it and experienced it first hand when I added water and got nervous he wouldn't able to get air so I sat and waited to make sure he can breathe and that's when I saw how long his neck is. I was amazed!

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
Goldenburd Goldenburd

Also looks like PA is having 3 Reptile Expos in these next few weeks. One on Nov 16 and two on the 26th.... PA must love its reptiles!
I was going to go to one of them on 26 but have to take care of some other business unfortunately. Will you be attending any of those expos?

Thanks,
Unfortunately no i had no idea there where any tbh i only focus on fish tbh

Bowser Frey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2019
I understand. Was considering fish as well but I am only interested in a few. Wolf Cichlid being one of them and a few others, I'm drawing a blank on...

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
I understand. Was considering fish as well but I am only interested in a few. Wolf Cichlid being one of them and a few others, I'm drawing a blank on...
Like i said my freind come down to thatfishplace in Pennsylvania and you'll find mostly everything you need.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Interesting, there is a reptile show on the 16th here as well
C7D8A8C4-F8B3-4500-AA9A-A3C847950320.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store