Kamfa flowerhorn grooming

Kamfa2020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hi everyone
I have a kamfa flowerhorn may be 3 inches. I got it some 10 days back and it seems he is freaked out of something because he always hides behind the spong filter
I asked the shop owner about this behaviour of the same he asked me to parrot train the fish but I do not want to hurt a parrot

Suggest me so tips so that the flowerhorn gets normal
Can grooming be done without a parrot ?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hi everyone
I have a kamfa flowerhorn may be 3 inches. I got it some 10 days back and it seems he is freaked out of something because he always hides behind the spong filter
I asked the shop owner about this behaviour of the same he asked me to parrot train the fish but I do not want to hurt a parrot

Suggest me so tips so that the flowerhorn gets normal
Can grooming be done without a parrot ?
Yes it can be quite easily. You can either use a pic or vid of another FH or you can place a mirror upto the side of the tank for 10-15mins after feeding everytime. It gives him something to flex on and not beat up another fish in the process.

Flowerhorn Supply

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
The first tip I can give you is to be patient. Sometimes it takes a while for FH to settle into their new home. Keep the lights off and feed him a couple pellets at a time all throughout the day so he starts to relate seeing you to food. You can also make it so he can't go behind the sponge.

As for grooming, I would not start until he is settled in. I find that some fish do better with a mirror and others react better to a parrot. Typically if you use a female parrot the FH will not try to hurt it, but there are some exceptions as every fish reacts different. If a mirror is all you have, that will work well enough.

Lastly.....make sure all your water parameters are in check.

Kamfa2020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
The first tip I can give you is to be patient. Sometimes it takes a while for FH to settle into their new home. Keep the lights off and feed him a couple pellets at a time all throughout the day so he starts to relate seeing you to food. You can also make it so he can't go behind the sponge.

As for grooming, I would not start until he is settled in. I find that some fish do better with a mirror and others react better to a parrot. Typically if you use a female parrot the FH will not try to hurt it, but there are some exceptions as every fish reacts different. If a mirror is all you have, that will work well enough.

Thanks

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Not sure if you already have any but some caves and plants, especially floating plants always help keep a cichlid feeling chilled.
Most people keep flowerhorns in a bare tank but when they are small it doesn't hurt to have some decor, obviously once they get to a certain size the plants will be torn to shreds.

Kamfa2020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020

If i use a parrot
Do i need to keep it as a tank mate for the fish or just put it in for sometime for the flowerhorn to play with

Kamfa2020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Yes it can be quite easily. You can either use a pic or vid of another FH or you can place a mirror upto the side of the tank for 10-15mins after feeding everytime. It gives him something to flex on and not beat up another fish in the process.
My flower horn is not responding to the mirror like the moment I put the mirror in front of him I don't find any kind of aggression he still sits behind the spong filter

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
My flower horn is not responding to the mirror like the moment I put the mirror in front of him I don't find any kind of aggression he still sits behind the spong filter
He's not settled in yet. He should think of the 5ank as his territory and feel need to protect it.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store