Kewpie's Dragon Worm Growth Thread

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I did a water change on my 120 last night, probably around 40%. An hour and half after the water change I found my Lap upside down, I thought she was dead. I poked her with my net and she swam off.

She then began to swim very erratically, banging into the glass, couldn't keep herself upright, just like my polys that died last week.

All other fish and tanks were completely unaffected.

kno4te kno4te J jaws7777 tlindsey tlindsey Alexkoj Alexkoj Hao Hao Has anybody ever seen this?

Sorry that this is happening I have never had any poly do that.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
I did a water change on my 120 last night, probably around 40%. An hour and half after the water change I found my Lap upside down, I thought she was dead. I poked her with my net and she swam off.

She then began to swim very erratically, banging into the glass, couldn't keep herself upright, just like my polys that died last week.

All other fish and tanks were completely unaffected.

kno4te kno4te J jaws7777 tlindsey tlindsey Alexkoj Alexkoj Hao Hao Has anybody ever seen this?
A few preliminary questions:

1) are 40% water changes the norm or an exception for your 120? If it is the latter, the lap may have been 'shocked' by the sudden influx of new water, even if it is de-chlorinated.
2) was there a drastic change in temperature after the WC? Sudden fluctuations in temperature can affect polys' behaviour.

From your description, it sounds like a combination of stress and shock, possibly flowing from the sudden WC.

Do provide us with more details and I'm sure the more experienced members you mentioned above can and will chime in.

I hope your lap pulls through!

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
A few preliminary questions:

1) are 40% water changes the norm or an exception for your 120? If it is the latter, the lap may have been 'shocked' by the sudden influx of new water, even if it is de-chlorinated.
2) was there a drastic change in temperature after the WC? Sudden fluctuations in temperature can affect polys' behaviour.

From your description, it sounds like a combination of stress and shock, possibly flowing from the sudden WC.

Do provide us with more details and I'm sure the more experienced members you mentioned above can and will chime in.

I hope your lap pulls through!
Yeah she's fine somehow. The same thing happened to the poor girl last week.

I did way too large of a water change a week ago after not having done one for awhile, which resulted in dead polys. But the tank has been stable since so I thought a smaller water change would be fine.

I would suspect my water in my house but all the other tanks and fish are fine, it's got to be something with the 120 specifically. I'm going to thoroughly test the water when I get home.

Burbotman Burbotman Dr.B Dr.B Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 Hendre Hendre magpie magpie clm08k clm08k

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I dont have any ljs but I have and have never experienced anything like this. I do weekly 75% wc now with my ropes and ujs never had this issue. Atm I run the water through my 3 stage filter sediment, carbon, coconut carbon. Im on city water with chlorine. I dont use any dechlorinator. It is heated also to 78f. I would guess phsyiology to be the same lj, uj, or rope.

So what do you do exactly?
Type of water, temp, chemicals added, anything may help. Go step by step. Maybe you use a different bucket, get it from a different tap...i dont know. But break it down for "us". Do they spook when you do a wc?

Last edited:

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I dont have any ljs but I have and have never experienced anything like this. I do weekly 75% wc now with my ropes and ujs never had this issue. Atm I run the water through my 3 stage filter sediment, carbon, coconut carbon. Im on city water with chlorine. I dont use any dechlorinator. It is heated also to 78f. I would guess phsyiology to be the same lj, uj, or rope.

So what do you do exactly?
Type of water, temp, chemicals added, anything may help. Go step by step. Maybe you use a different bucket, get it from a different tap...i dont know. But break it down for "us". Do they spook when you do a wc?
They don't get spooked out when I do water changes. I have a well with a home water softening system, their shouldn't be any chlorine left after the water goes through the carbon but I usually dose with prime anyway.

My water is ridden with sulfur, but I've kept fish in my house for the past year and a half, I've only ever seen this issue in my 120 except for the last time, the same erratic swimming thing happened to a catfish I had, the cichlids that were in the tank were fine.

I use a python which is plumbed right into my shower so I can adjust the temperature to whatever I want. I have a pond pump that I use to drain all my tanks and as I've said my other 3 tanks are completely fine.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I don't see how this would be an answer but 2 of the lfs I frequent have signs up and also advise against using softened water for fish. Both are owned by different people and have 50 miles in between each other so are not affiliated in any way. I have been going to these lfs for 20+ years I trust them both (well the owners anyway). I dont see how it would be that because it doesnt effect the other fish you have. I find it hard to believe that polys are that fragile. But I get where they are coming from. You use salts to soften the water and salt goes into the water during the process. Its like a saltwater tank. As water evaporates the salt stays you add more water with salt and the salinity increases. In a salt tank you add fresh water as to not increase the salinity for evap. Obviously wc is different. Once again I get where they are comimg from just not sure of the validity of it and why it hasent effected the others. I guess im grasping at straws. Sorry I dont have better answers. Ive got two freinds in the water treatment field and they agree with the above as to the thought process but again why just the cat and polys?

Reactions: clm08k

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah I don't get it man, I would suspect my water but it just doesn't make sense.

This is leads me to suspect that something is specifically going on inside of the 120. I have an eheim heater, FX6 and a sponge filter. I thoroughly cleaned the Barton red garnet sand that many other members on this site use, before I put it in the tank.

Really bad luck?

Reactions: twentyleagues

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I have no clue. But if it was the heater I would suspect that the other fish would be affected too.

I troubleshoot for a living and when all avenues are exhausted I always suspect that something very basic is being missed.

To add to the strangeness my albino sen has been completely fine during both water changes where other polys have been affected. And my knives are completely immune to whatever seems to be happening.

Reactions: clm08k

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Does your water temperature drop a lot when you do waterchange? One or two of my ornates used to be like that from the shock when I only added all cold water on a large WC. Most of my bichirs were okay with it but just that one or two was more sensitive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store