MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Update: As I soon expected, the keyholes were eaten periodically over the course of the past few days. I don't know for sure the culprit, as it could be either the parents or my ctenopoma. I might separate the babies if the parents lay again, just to be safe, but I'll monitor them more consistently as well.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
They've laid again! I've ordered a breeding box for the babies, so hopefully this time they'll make it :)
View attachment 1513879
NOOOO don't put the fry in a breeding box, made that mistake too many times, if you're going to use a breeder box use it in a designated growout tank away from the parents just to make sure smaller fry get food. If you keep the breeder box with the parents, the parents will smell their fry and try to suck them out through the holes in the box which end up being just slightly too small, which leaves you with a breeder box covered in fry that have been ripped in half by their parents. Mesh and plastic boxes are the same in this regard.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
NOOOO don't put the fry in a breeding box, made that mistake too many times, if you're going to use a breeder box use it in a designated growout tank away from the parents just to make sure smaller fry get food. If you keep the breeder box with the parents, the parents will smell their fry and try to suck them out through the holes in the box which end up being just slightly too small, which leaves you with a breeder box covered in fry that have been ripped in half by their parents. Mesh and plastic boxes are the same in this regard.
Hopefully he ordered the Marina hang on the outside of aquarium breeding box like I suggested. No way the parents will be able to get to the fry.

Reactions: MetalRavioli

MetalRavioli

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2022
Massachusetts
azariah.wikidot.com
Hopefully he ordered the Marina hang on the outside of aquarium breeding box like I suggested. No way the parents will be able to get to the fry.
I've purchased the one you recommended! The parents won't be able to get the fry, so there's no need for worry, they'll be safe :)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I've purchased the one you recommended! The parents won't be able to get the fry, so there's no need for worry, they'll be safe :)
Glad to hear. I may have to invest in that one myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store