Large cichlids (umbee jag vieja types) with bottom dwellers

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think that ones experience is going to vary depending on the individual fish, size of the tank, tank mates, etc. A single fish, or a single mated pair, may act quite differently if in a large community of other cichlids that they can focus their attention on. Without that kind of distraction, IME, bad things can happen to defenceless bottom dwelling species that become target fish.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
My large vieja guttalatum used to tear up the sides of the large 12"ish pimelodus I kept with it when they were alone in the tank (6' tank) . Not enough to kill or seriously injure it, but it always looked like it had been thru hell. Then I ended up adding a few more cichlids and that took the heat off the cat, after that he healed up and did better.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
My super aggreessive Lenticulata is chill with my plecos and sydont cat. She would probably kill most other companions although my SD thrive with her. I really like my Chocolate Cichlids. They are really nice looking and at the lowest end of aggression scale for cichlids. Much smaller mouth then most. i have a breeding pair plus one female and they leave my all my cats alone....jaguars, a Sydont, Bristlnose and Scarlet Plecos....chill even when guarding nest, eggs and fry.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thx all. Good stuff for my son to read.

My opinion is a no but i wanted him to get in the habbit of thinking for himself much appreciated

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
One thing that I have noticed is that everything goes smoother with the "What's Natural?" approach. Or Biotope mentality. Things that are found naturally together seem to have a better chance of working out with correct space.
The following (3) combos worked successfully for me:
  1. Buttikoferi, Bichir, and Sydon cats
  2. Silver Aro, PBass, RTC, Silver Dollars, Oscars, Umbee
  3. Oscar, Silver Dollars, Tetras, Plecos

Reactions: jaws7777

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Foe some reason i didnt notice this reply or crazykoicracker's

I'll let him take a look at them and see what he thinks. Are either better kept in groups ?
You have other fish in the the tank so a kelberi will be fine without others of its kind. Pikes don't like other pikes unless they are a pair. Even then the pairing can be tumultuous.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
You had about the best large cichlid out there for what you want.

I wouldnt do a large amps or parachromis. Umbee would be out as well. Vieja I'm not sure except zonatus I definitely wouldn't do one of those. I would try a solo argentea or syn personally. If you have that little het its probably toast though.

My amphs and parachromis were ok for the most part, but they have these spurts of physco where they tear into anything in the tank.

I know your looking into aros etc but if you're wanting interactive personality I'd stay with a large cichlid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store