Large cichlids (umbee jag vieja types) with bottom dwellers

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Kind of. Great fish no doubt but been there done that. . .
I have only been keeping cichlids for a few years myself, though I have kept various catfish over my 45 years as a fish keeper.

I tried to raise an Oscar and a Sailfin plecostomus up together but after a certain age they would constantly fight.

Or rather the Oscar would chase pleco into a hole and keep him pinned in there.

I keep mixed tank of 4 to 6" cichlids together with upside down catfish and a bristlenose plecostomus. They were all raised together and they do get along.

My feeling is that you can never tell about any individual fish, or any unique set of circumstances. I think this is why I have found myself with over ten tanks going.

The experimentation of it all is the secret attraction to me. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, I never know what I'm going to get.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sweet. Plenty of time to research trouble to get into.

If everything goes well I should be moved in by end of next month myself.
Ive been wondering where you've been the past few days

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe the tank still has Bichirs, yes? and is fairly large.
If so, because i am anal about trying to keep display tanks geographically correct, I would want an African species, and one that is non-aggressive.
My holy grail African is Heterochromis multidens.
Heterochromis multidens- dominant male
They say it may be the missing cichlid link between the South American and African separation of Gondwanaland, another ancient species.

KeithDenny

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2014
Johns Creek, GA
I have a 300 w/ 8 male Amphs (Barred Midas, Chancho and Sag) that range from 7" to 12"+. I have had a 10" or so Curvier Bichir in there for almost two years and they get along great - have never seen any aggression. I have a 10" Featherfin Squeaker cat and he get along great w/ everyone - has been in there for almost two years as well. I put in a new Chancho only around 7" and he nipped his fins for a few weeks and then quit. There are a few bristlenose catfish around 3" or less that got put in as babies by accident and they seem to be doing OK. I also had a bully 5" red tail shark from another tank that I put in there and he seems to be doing fine.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I have a 300 w/ 8 male Amphs (Barred Midas, Chancho and Sag) that range from 7" to 12"+. I have had a 10" or so Curvier Bichir in there for almost two years and they get along great - have never seen any aggression. I have a 10" Featherfin Squeaker cat and he get along great w/ everyone - has been in there for almost two years as well. I put in a new Chancho only around 7" and he nipped his fins for a few weeks and then quit. There are a few bristlenose catfish around 3" or less that got put in as babies by accident and they seem to be doing OK. I also had a bully 5" red tail shark from another tank that I put in there and he seems to be doing fine.
Thats interesting that bichir is one of the smaller growing and seems to he holding his own with some heavy hitters

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store