Large cichlids (umbee jag vieja types) with bottom dwellers

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hey frank. I agree with Rocksor Rocksor , I was going to ask if you had considered chichlas. They are so much fun. Once they start getting some size on them you need to keep a mop on hand, it’s always fun feeding tilapia. Lol. I spot clean my tank to keep the ray poop at bay, and every time I suck something up the tube, the bass nail the tube and it freaks me out every time lol.

They are smart and very alert. My wife plays with our cats and the bass go nuts for the cat toys. Literally jump out of the water. Also I have a 5gal on the mantle with a betta in it. She swims around and all 3 bass will be watching in unison. I say it’s their tv show. Lol.

The down sides are you will need to grow them to a size that is bigger than poly mouths. And they say 5 is the magic number to spread out aggression. I have 3 and they seem to get by but I’m still new. They typically don’t bother with anything unless it resembles food, but if it looks like food they smash it HARD! Also if you need to pellet train them they are super stubborn and that can be a challenge for sure.

Oscars are fun for the first 6-8 months then become slow growers and tend to be messy eaters as they spit out chewed up food and just leave it. These guys are maybe 1/3 as messy. Also oscars tend to get to a certain point and they are no longer cute and pretty looking. These guys are kind of the opposite, they start out drab and kind of boring, then grow into these magnificent creatures that are so smart and have funny personalities.

If you watch some of the feeding videos you will only get a portion of how awesome they are. You need to see it in real life. Get splashed in the face a few times lol

Reactions: Poseidon2.0

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Hey frank. I agree with Rocksor Rocksor , I was going to ask if you had considered chichlas. They are so much fun. Once they start getting some size on them you need to keep a mop on hand, it’s always fun feeding tilapia. Lol. I spot clean my tank to keep the ray poop at bay, and every time I suck something up the tube, the bass nail the tube and it freaks me out every time lol.

They are smart and very alert. My wife plays with our cats and the bass go nuts for the cat toys. Literally jump out of the water. Also I have a 5gal on the mantle with a betta in it. She swims around and all 3 bass will be watching in unison. I say it’s their tv show. Lol.

The down sides are you will need to grow them to a size that is bigger than poly mouths. And they say 5 is the magic number to spread out aggression. I have 3 and they seem to get by but I’m still new. They typically don’t bother with anything unless it resembles food, but if it looks like food they smash it HARD! Also if you need to pellet train them they are super stubborn and that can be a challenge for sure.

Oscars are fun for the first 6-8 months then become slow growers and tend to be messy eaters as they spit out chewed up food and just leave it. These guys are maybe 1/3 as messy. Also oscars tend to get to a certain point and they are no longer cute and pretty looking. These guys are kind of the opposite, they start out drab and kind of boring, then grow into these magnificent creatures that are so smart and have funny personalities.

If you watch some of the feeding videos you will only get a portion of how awesome they are. You need to see it in real life. Get splashed in the face a few times lol
Agree. Nothing like pbass. And yes much less debris than oscars.

Reactions: Matteus

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You had about the best large cichlid out there for what you want.

I wouldnt do a large amps or parachromis. Umbee would be out as well. Vieja I'm not sure except zonatus I definitely wouldn't do one of those. I would try a solo argentea or syn personally. If you have that little het its probably toast though.

My amphs and parachromis were ok for the most part, but they have these spurts of physco where they tear into anything in the tank.

I know your looking into aros etc but if you're wanting interactive personality I'd stay with a large cichlid.
I know man hulk was perfect but he wants nothing to do with anything resembling a pearsei... cant blame him.

My Argentea was actually a nightmare compared to the zonatus.

I think rhe 3 threads i have for him have enough opinions for him to read through. Im curious to see how he reacts to someone other than me giving him info
Has your son ever had oscars?
Yes he did. We had to rehome him to make room for his pearsei.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

Oh definitely agree they would be a great choice and are fun fish. I appreciate the post. I think he'll enjoy reading that.

Reactions: Matteus

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Your kids will get a kick out of you getting soaking wet during feeding time.
Yeah they definitely would enjoy that. Wife on the other hand doesnt have to know until she experiences it 1st hand lmao

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Well he thread through the threads, so cool talking mfk stuff with him.

He wants to try dats and an aro. Aro will be a surprise after we move.

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
Well he thread through the threads, so cool talking mfk stuff with him.

He wants to try dats and an aro. Aro will be a surprise after we move.
I really hope one day at least one of my kids gets into the fish like me... they all show interest but not the obsession like their old man. We'll see.
Good luck on the Dats and Aro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store