LDA105 typhoon advice please

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
The water here is very soft. I had the fish couriered up by APC and as usual they arrived late, about 1400 so the fish was floated for about half an hour and during that time I just put small amounts of tap water into the bag, he was totally fine. I just use tap water, dechlorinated of course, for water changes.

The other 3 typhoons came from a hard water area and they were transitioned over a longer period but again no issues and if I remember all of them fed straight away without issue. I collected the three small ones so they weren't in a box overnight. However when I collected the first one it was freezing and snowing but they seem quite Hardy.

I had a shoal of cardinals which I had to remove because they were nipping the typhoons tail extensions. I worried about that so moved them on. Now they share the tank with a sole severum which is a pet like a pet dog really, loads of character.

I'm quite sure your typhoon will be fine.
That's great to know my water is also soft, chlorine levels are also very low out of my tap, I plan to only have him it the bag for one hour at most to keep the stress level to a minimum, just out of interest what do you use to totally dechlorineate your water, I'm going to keep him/her solitary at first, once I feel it's settled in properly il try it in with some other L numbers to see how it goes.

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
The water here is very soft. I had the fish couriered up by APC and as usual they arrived late, about 1400 so the fish was floated for about half an hour and during that time I just put small amounts of tap water into the bag, he was totally fine. I just use tap water, dechlorinated of course, for water changes.

The other 3 typhoons came from a hard water area and they were transitioned over a longer period but again no issues and if I remember all of them fed straight away without issue. I collected the three small ones so they weren't in a box overnight. However when I collected the first one it was freezing and snowing but they seem quite Hardy.

I had a shoal of cardinals which I had to remove because they were nipping the typhoons tail extensions. I worried about that so moved them on. Now they share the tank with a sole severum which is a pet like a pet dog really, loads of character.

I'm quite sure your typhoon will be fine.
That's great to know my water is also soft, chlorine levels are also very low out of my tap, I plan to only have him it the bag for one hour at most to keep the stress level to a minimum, just out of interest what do you use to totally dechlorineate your water, I'm going to keep him/her solitary at first, once I feel it's settled in properly il try it in with some other L numbers to see how it goes.

Mark_N

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
I just use aquasafe, used it for years and seems to do the job. I have very few issues with my fish but there are no other plecs in with them, only at feeding time you get the odd skirmish but nothing major. When I had the blue eye in there it was a different story but I've mentioned that before.

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
I just use aquasafe, used it for years and seems to do the job. I have very few issues with my fish but there are no other plecs in with them, only at feeding time you get the odd skirmish but nothing major. When I had the blue eye in there it was a different story but I've mentioned that before.
That good I've got loads of aquasafe, what do yours like to eat or are they not fussy, I no my L 25's arnt they will eat anything meaty, what do you feed them as a staple?

Mark_N

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Vitalis pellets every 2 days along with prawns and scallops. They love the pellets!

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
T
Vitalis pellets every 2 days along with prawns and scallops. They love the pellets!
Thats good I've got loads of vitalis pellets, best Plec food going by miles, all my plecs love them, if there anything like my L 25's there will eat anything lol

Mark_N

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
I love L25's. How many and what sizes you got? Did Michael have any ?

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
I love L25's. How many and what sizes you got? Did Michael have any ?
I got 2 L25's only around the 6" mark so not very big there in one of my 125g, both 7 pointers though, I love L25's I find my pair to be very social and mix well with other plecos, although some find them to be aggressive, I'm not to sure if Micheal has any as I didn't ask, if not I'm sure he can get them there not hard to get hold of at all, I know for sure that pier has them or they had last time I was down they have smaller ones around 6" can't remember price sorry but they won't be crazy maybe around £150 pounds, and they hade a monster sized one maybe 14"-15" it was huge, not to sure if it's been sold now to be honest as they had it priced very cheap for the size of it, I'm sure it was only £300 n odd pounds, I just remember thinking wow that's cheap, if I had the cash when I was down there I would have taken it my self and put it in my 430g and see how it got on,but like I said I know for sure Micheal will easily be able to get them with his extensive list of contacts in South America

Last edited:

Mick105

Feeder Fish
Jul 11, 2018
Have you got the typhoon yet mate ?
Jonny it's Michael from Silksworth. Sorry not been around when you've called. I'll explain all when I see you. Let me know when you want to come for it mate and we'll sort if if you still want it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store