Long finned blue eye lemon BN

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Most of the babies are turning brown. There’s maybe only 5 or 6 blue eyes. Which I’m okay with...at least I will get to watch a couple grow up!

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If your babies are turning out brown even from two blue eyed lemons you might want to try breeding with a different Male. Either that or the albino was the first to lay eggs but I think with the attention to detail you obviously pay, you would have known.
IME quite rare for a second female to lay eggs without eating most of the first batch, unless she didn’t get chance.
Females will often eat the eggs or even the fry of others to progress their own offspring.
The other male in the last photo above looks to have a hint of albino in his eyes rather than blue eye lemon? Although looking back wheeler does indeed look blue eyed lemon.
Never had anything other than blue eyed lemon from my fish although they are at least third generation which may be the reason they do not revert back at all.
Keeping some of the lemons from this batch and breeding them with lemons from a different batch should help ensure B E lemons going forward.

Reactions: Niki_up

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
If your babies are turning out brown even from two blue eyed lemons you might want to try breeding with a different Male. Either that or the albino was the first to lay eggs but I think with the attention to detail you obviously pay, you would have known.
IME quite rare for a second female to lay eggs without eating most of the first batch, unless she didn’t get chance.
Females will often eat the eggs or even the fry of others to progress their own offspring.
The other male in the last photo above looks to have a hint of albino in his eyes rather than blue eye lemon? Although looking back wheeler does indeed look blue eyed lemon.
Never had anything other than blue eyed lemon from my fish although they are at least third generation which may be the reason they do not revert back at all.
Keeping some of the lemons from this batch and breeding them with lemons from a different batch should help ensure B E lemons going forward.
I didn’t think about her eating the eggs of the first batch...which might have happened...there are def eggs missing as there’s only about 40 fry.
The BEL male above with the reddish eyes is also in a tank that casts a pinkish hue on some fish...so it’s hard to say what color his eye is in the middle.
Haha on another side note the male above laid eggs last night with another BEL girl in the 60G tank. We shall see what their fry look like as they get older.

my original group of lemons came from an unknown parentage so I am not sure of the genetics they carry. It’s def a learning process for me that’s for sure!

edit* I also appreciate your input and ideas!

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Update time.

original batch of brown fry are still here and just turned 6 weeks old. They are almost 1.5 inches.

the second batch of fry will be 1 week old tomorrow, they are growing quickly. There are 9 BEL’s (blue eyed lemons).

the 3rd batch just hatched tonight, I got to watch them burst out of their egg casings, the male was not happy with me watching!

Some pics are not very clear, my apologies

6 weeks old
9AC35903-6A3B-458D-A51C-D225F3666BEB.jpeg
1 week old
2C35056F-5EFC-4AF5-A728-A1AA59D48FA7.jpeg9D79515A-07C6-4B64-AD15-5183146ADC38.jpeg
1 minute old
701A0247-46E4-424F-B586-8BC10C733D98.jpeg

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Sad update today.

the fry in the 60g have all perished except 1. I have a feeling when I added the small slice of zucchini for them it spoiled and caused slime to build up in the breeder box cutting off oxygen. I had been changing the zucchini multiple times a day and flushing the water in the breeder box. It was not enough. Next time I will have to make sure there is flow in the breeder box.

I also moved two longfins into a breeder box into the 135g tank as holding until the person picked them up. The slime started to build in that box as well and one pleco jumped ship and hopefully landed inside the 135g and found hiding.

the second batch of fry in the 30g are doing well. It sure what is different I think their tank but they are growing exceptionally well.

I still have 6 shortfins and 5 longfins left from the first batch. The short fins have been moved into the 10g tank, the longfins will soon join them

• Sad

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Sorry for your loss.
Just a note, I too find that zucchini and cucumber tend to go slimy if kept in a fridge and then used in a tank. I keep any I want to use for the fish out of the fridge. However, I also use cooked carrots and blanched cabbage leaves or sprout leaves as I find these do not degrade like zucchini.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Sorry for your loss.
Just a note, I too find that zucchini and cucumber tend to go slimy if kept in a fridge and then used in a tank. I keep any I want to use for the fish out of the fridge. However, I also use cooked carrots and blanched cabbage leaves or sprout leaves as I find these do not degrade like zucchini.
Thank you for the tip.

how long does your zucchini last out of the fridge?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I can keep a zucchini out of the fridge for 1-2 weeks after cutting the end off but the weather here in the UK is cool and I store probably at 60 to 65 degrees max. However, I grow mini cucumbers and just cut off either what I need or the whole cucumber as I need them through the summer months which means they also don’t go in the fridge.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I can keep a zucchini out of the fridge for 1-2 weeks after cutting the end off but the weather here in the UK is cool and I store probably at 60 to 65 degrees max. However, I grow mini cucumbers and just cut off either what I need or the whole cucumber as I need them through the summer months which means they also don’t go in the fridge.
That’s quite some time! Your lucky.

I live in a cold climate in the winter but keep my house at about 72 temperature wise. I would assume it would go bad much quicker.
I go through about 1 zucchini a week

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store