Looking for a fish

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Big Malawi haps. They are some of the very few true open water freshwater fish. They will constantly swimming, and they are predatory. The fact that they like hard water makes them easier to care for for most people, and they tend to be pretty hardy. They are also true pursuit predators, something else rare for a freshwater fish. I wish I had a tank to put them in. Not my picture, but the fish on top, Champsochromis caeruleus, grows over a foot long.trout.jpg

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Can't believe how little it was recommended in this thread - but my No. 1 monster fish (other than polys and gars in general) is a Dovii. A 350 would allow a male to get huge, and a 150 would be a great growout in the meantime. You've just got to be prepared to keep one fish and one fish only.

If you're wanting a singular wet pet for the tank, a giant gourami would be a nice fit. I'd consider them a second-class citizen to the dovii, but if you're into them - an umbee might suit you well. Depending on where you are, a bigger snakehead would be cool. The bigger freshwater puffers are super cool as well - your tank is big enough for an mbu puffer, or for a fahaka.
As far as a community of some sort, you've got countless options. You've got to let us know what YOU like there :)
-Drew

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could keep a curupira in the 150g as a grow out and move to he eventual 350g. The red wolf would be more than fine for life in a 150g.

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would the black not eat the others though?
What other fish or tankmates are u looking at? Possible tankmates? Sorry didn't see that mentioned. A curu will take out things smaller than itself. There are issue lfs with keeping curus with other wolves. A red wolf fish won't be a good tankmate by the way.

Mr. Cactus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Can't believe how little it was recommended in this thread - but my No. 1 monster fish (other than polys and gars in general) is a Dovii. A 350 would allow a male to get huge, and a 150 would be a great growout in the meantime. You've just got to be prepared to keep one fish and one fish only.

If you're wanting a singular wet pet for the tank, a giant gourami would be a nice fit. I'd consider them a second-class citizen to the dovii, but if you're into them - an umbee might suit you well. Depending on where you are, a bigger snakehead would be cool. The bigger freshwater puffers are super cool as well - your tank is big enough for an mbu puffer, or for a fahaka.
As far as a community of some sort, you've got countless options. You've got to let us know what YOU like there :)
-Drew
I was thinking I wanted a few fish (not many) hence I wasn't really looking at the dovii

Mr. Cactus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
What other fish or tankmates are u looking at? Possible tankmates? Sorry didn't see that mentioned. A curu will take out things smaller than itself. There are issue lfs with keeping curus with other wolves. A red wolf fish won't be a good tankmate by the way.
So if you scroll up a bit you lusted a few fish that would work fine with odoe pikes so I assume you meant the red wolf fish? I was thinking about getting 2 red tail cudas 2 odoe pikes and a red or black wolf fish if possible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store