Lyonsi tank mates?

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
So i got almost empty 125 gal, couple fish to move to new 72. Now the fun part begins, stocking of the tank. I really like the lyonsi, and would like a pair of them. COA have them for sale. Could they be housed with astatheros robertsoni and/or crenicichla strigata? Is there any schooling fish that could work with that stock? Maybe some wild type swords? I have a plenty of filtration between 2260 and xp4 and i think plenty of hiding spaces for all. What do you think?0129172009.jpg

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Robertsoni should be fine if the Lyonsi aren't aggressive. Not sure about the pike. Schooling fish should be good as long as they are too big to be eaten.
Nice looking tank btw.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
My old pair (male 10 inch Female 8 inch) were one of my favorite fish I ever owned, the male would glass bang and be highly aggressive to anything he considered a threat. But fine with grow outs or anything 6 inch or under

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
My old pair (male 10 inch Female 8 inch) were one of my favorite fish I ever owned, the male would glass bang and be highly aggressive to anything he considered a threat. But fine with grow outs or anything 6 inch or under
I didnt know about the glass banging but it would be nice to have a fish like that.

Blue Bear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
Florida
I kept Cons with my Lyonsi, it was temporary, but they did well.

Awesome tank. What kind of plants?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
My lyonsi was huge and wasn't really that aggressive towards tankmates. I didn't have anything that looked like him in the tank, that might have helped. I'd say robertsoni should be okay, for (almost) guarunteed luck you might try nicaraguense or anything in the cryptoheros genus

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
My lyonsi was huge and wasn't really that aggressive towards tankmates. I didn't have anything that looked like him in the tank, that might have helped. I'd say robertsoni should be okay, for (almost) guarunteed luck you might try nicaraguense or anything in the cryptoheros genus
I actually was thinking about nics, really like the shape of the fish.

Reactions: Vukmir13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store