MARBLED/CALICO CONVICT BREEDERS - INFO / GENETICS THREAD

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Please post only if you have firsthand experience with breeding Marbled / Calico convicts, either directly, or observed.

Is there a such thing as a Black/White Marbled Convict? (Must provide a photo.)

With all the questions that are surfacing, I want to create a FACTS section for this, without guesswork, without speculation. Eventually, I hope we will have a clear map of the genetics behind these guys.

FACTS ONLY please. I want to look for patterns.

I'll start.

My pair: Male Marbled, Female Pink - One batch of fry so far - Almost all fry are marbled, with a few all-pink. Will set up a few different back crosses in a few months when they are big enough.

My friend's pair: Female Marbled, Male Pink - Several batches - None are marbled. All are pink. (I just emailed him to see if he had back-crossed any, and if he did, what the result was.)

krustyart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
My Pink Marbled Convicts. The larger male and one female are lightly marbled. The smallest female is more marbled. I have only had the females for a two weeks so no breeding yet, though the 1" long lighter marbled female has seemingly bonded to the male. The unbonded more heavily marbled female is only 3/4" long and has dropped her ovipositor and is digging deep holes and is trying to lure the male(4" long) but he is acts dedicated to the other. Will post when I get fry. Here are pictures of them. (sorry if this is WAY too many pictures...)

SmallerCalico2.jpg

SmallerCalico1.jpg

Calicos2.jpg

Calico4.jpg

Calico3.jpg

Calico5.jpg

Calicos.jpg

Calico2.jpg

Calico1.jpg

SmallerCalico3.jpg

convict7.jpg

convict6.jpg

convict5.jpg

convict4.jpg

convict3.jpg

Convict2.jpg

Convict1.jpg

convict8.jpg

100_4638.jpg

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Your male appears to be a hybrid, so the genetics may be different.

UPDATE!!

My friend emailed back with his results. He DID try crossing some of the fry, back to the marbled mother and again, Zero marbled fry.

So, until I can do a back cross, it can safely be speculated that this is a male sex linked gene.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
I have crossed these multiple times and this is what the numbers lead me to believe.

Pink gene is autosomal recessive. This means you need two copies of the allele to express the trait and it is not altered by sex.

Calico gene which is what I assume you are calling marbled would show up regularly in first generation (F1) offspring from calico pink x wild type. This leads me to believe it is a dominant allele. My offspring were approximately 50% calico so my calico breeders must have been heterozygous themselves.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reactions: DriftingWood

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
those are beautiful! i'm ganna try and get some of these!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store