Matrix vs. Pond Matrix

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
I am looking to buy some biomedia that will last. I'm wondering what the difference is between Matrix and Pond Matrix. Is it just the size of the "pellets?" Does the Pond Matrix have just as much surface area to grow BB as the smaller Matrix?

I know that Seachem will just say "Use Matrix in aquariums, and Pond Matrix in a Pond" But I need the real answer, not the "we make more money off the smaller stuff" answer!

I plan on putting it in my sump, some aquaclear filters, some Marineland HOBs and my FX5. Would the Pond Matrix work just as well?

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
With your setup Pond Matrix would be the best choice for nitrate reduction. We do offer Pond Matrix in a 1 L size. The reason that the Pond Matrix works better for nitrate reduction is the larger size has more interior space which promotes more anaerobic bacteria. Matrix will work, just not as well.

Sounds like we want pond matrix, then, doesn't it? Just the first result I found...

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=326

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
As long as it's "as good" or "better" than the Matrix, then heck yes! I just don't want to run into the problem of "I don't have enough BB for the heavy stock loads I have in my tanks."

NitrAtes are not my main concern, it's the ammonia from not enough biomedia/surface area. I do water changes religiously, and if it reduced those (nitrAtes), it would just be a "perk" and not so much a requirement.

I plan on buying 4 liters of either one, so don't want to waste my $$ if it's not going to filter my tanks!

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Hmmm. That is a puzzle, then. Now you have to choose between tons of surface bacteria for a higher price or more anaerobic bacteria (but still plenty of aerobic!) for a lesser price per quantity. I would get the pond matrix since you're not relying solely on it for bio, it's supplemental to your existing filtration. The added aerobic area will still be overwhelming and you'll get the denitrification perk after awhile. But I'm biased in favor of any denitrification, so I think it's a matter of taste on this one. For the money, Pond still seems like a good deal even if it was just aerobic space.

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
In all honesty, I'd like to eventually replace all of my biomedia with something that doesn't break down (right now I have a mixture of lava rock and Biomax, but Biomax is dang expensive!)

I've heard scrubbies are good, but I can't believe they would be good in a tank with such a high solid waste content (big, fat, sloppy fancy goldfish.) If they work anything like regular mechanical sponges, they will absolutely get solids lodged inside, and I don't feel like banging out 100 little scrubby sponges every week or two! They will eventually lead to elevated nitrAte levels, so Pond Matrix or Matrix are definitely the way to go.

rhodes_96

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2009
Australia
knifegill;4831468; said:

Sounds like we want pond matrix, then, doesn't it? Just the first result I found...

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=326
That's a real iffy answer by seachem tech.

An individual piece of pond matrix will have more surface and internal area than the normal matrix, but you can fit more matrix into the same volume of containment due to the way the smaller matrix compacts better.

Easy to prove this, just weigh the same sized container with equal amounts by volume of each in it. I bet you the normal matrix will weigh more. You will also notice that the bulk sizes of pond matrix cost a little less than normal matrix due to having less quantity by weight in the same volume container.

So if there is more matrix in the same volume of containment wouldn't there be more surface and internal area for bb ?

If you are after nitrate reduction, from my experience they work just as well as each other. For a sump I would choose which ever was the cheapest at the time.

3 reasons I see to use pond matrix,

1 if you have eggcrate or similar in your sump pond matrix won't fall through
2 Better oxygenation in wet dry setups as there is more space for gas off between the larger pebbles
3 Cheaper by volume

2 reasons to use matrix
1 More product per volume for you $
2 More efficient utilization of space per volume of product

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
i'd go with regular matrix imo. the smaller size pebble lets you pack a little more into the same volume of space, so if filter space is a concern... also, you're loosing out on the potential aerobic bacteria that could be occupying the space that the anaerobic bacteria would be using in pond matrix.

like knifegill said, go with pond if you want denitrification.

i think scrubbies are meant to work best in wet/dry filters. if the media is going to be submerged, i would definately go with matrix rather than scrubbies.

last i checked, the two were very close to the same price. what's the price difference?

edit: sorry for parroting rhodes, but your post wasn't there when i started typing my reply. ;)

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
the smaller size pebble lets you pack a little more into the same volume of space,
Wow, that's a good point! And the difference is definitely a noteworthy one as far as the amount of surface area you'd be getting with the smaller pieces. Much to think about, but it sounds to me like for most aquaria the normal Matrix probably is the better choice if denitrification is not the goal.

BTW, Scatman, Super Mario Bros. 1,2, and 3 are as close to my heart as the bible. I still buy old nintendos in succession as they die to keep the games alive. :) Avatar win.

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
rhodes_96;4831833; said:
So if there is more matrix in the same volume of containment wouldn't there be more surface and internal area for bb ?
i think their claim that pond matrix is better for denitrification is based on the idea that by the time water passes through the thicker outer surface of pond matrix to the center, aerobic bacteria already used up the oxygen that would otherwise kill the anaerobic bacteria at the core.

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
ScatMan;4831958; said:
i'd go with regular matrix imo. the smaller size pebble lets you pack a little more into the same volume of space, so if filter space is a concern... also, you're loosing out on the potential aerobic bacteria that could be occupying the space that the anaerobic bacteria would be using in pond matrix.

like knifegill said, go with pond if you want denitrification.

i think scrubbies are meant to work best in wet/dry filters. if the media is going to be submerged, i would definately go with matrix rather than scrubbies.

last i checked, the two were very close to the same price. what's the price difference?

edit: sorry for parroting rhodes, but your post wasn't there when i started typing my reply. ;)
It just depends on the vendor. They are both comparable. I got regular matrix, and although I do use egg crate in my wet/dry, I will use a layer of blue floss between it, to prevent it from falling through. That's what I have to do now anyway.

Thanks for the input guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store