Matrix vs. Pond Matrix

sincebeen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Michigan
Update:

5 Days later and my water is already clearer than it was with scrubies and bio balls. I'm sold on Matrix.

Jaftism

Feeder Fish
Apr 23, 2018
I know this is an old thread bilut as newbie to the true monster fish scene it has been very informative.
I am about to buy 4L of Pond Matrix. My set up very basic and honestly, not working. I'm struggling with nitrates.

I have 2 tanks one on top of the other both 4fters (100us gal). Top tank is heavily planted with java fern glued to large rocks bit is bare bottom.
Bottom tank has a 396g/hr pump hidden behind a blue matten style pad feeding the top tank at left end.
On the right hand 1/3 of top tank its a matten divider and a dacron sheet for fines held between 2 bits of security door mesh. Easy to remove and replace. I have about 10L of volcanic rock in there with air stones below the rocks to provide flow.
This over flows back to bottom tank on the left side. With about 1/2" of pool filter sand as substrate.
Also a fx6 only plumbed to bottom tank.

Top stocking is 8 juv rainbows and a few bristle noses.
Bottom tank has 2 ray pups.

My questions
Would the 6 air stones be aiding flow enough or negatively effecting the BB in the volcanic rocks its passing thru?
Would adding Pond Matrix on top of the volcanic rock be of any benefit?
Should I just fill a PVC pipe with 4L of matrix and let the over flow run down over that?

As a tip: In one of my other big tanks sump I used Bra washing bags to put the volcanic rock in. Makes life easier lifting them out of sump. They quite sturdy and have zips.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I use 6kg pumice stone and about 4kg normal ANS bio rod. 180 gallon tank. 7 ray pups

No issues with ammonia. WC 90% a week

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store