Matrix vs. Pond Matrix

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
knifegill;4831971; said:
BTW, Scatman, Super Mario Bros. 1,2, and 3 are as close to my heart as the bible. I still buy old nintendos in succession as they die to keep the games alive. :) Avatar win.
lol! i packed my nes up and just run my games from an emulator on my pc to my tv. i know, i know, it's not the same but it gets the job done.:grinno:

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I would absolutely get pond matrix. People read way too much into surface area and whatever else in bio media IMO. I'm going pond matrix in my next FX5.

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
aclockworkorange;4832000; said:
I would absolutely get pond matrix. People read way too much into surface area and whatever else in bio media IMO. I'm going pond matrix in my next FX5.
what advantages do you expect using pond matrix over regular matrix in an fx5?

watercrawl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
Nebraska
Instead of blue floss between the egg crate and the Matrix, go to a craft store (Michael's is where I went in Omaha, NE) and find what's called Plastic Canvas. Here is a link to the stuff on Amazon's website:

http://www.amazon.com/Darice-Plastic-Canvas-10X13/dp/B001H83B9Q

It is plastic with a grid pattern in it so your Matrix won't fall through and it's extremely cheap and won't break down and need replacing like the filter stuff will.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
knifegill;4831971; said:
BTW, Scatman, Super Mario Bros. 1,2, and 3 are as close to my heart as the bible. I still buy old nintendos in succession as they die to keep the games alive. :) Avatar win.
Come on, Mario bros 2 sucks. ;)

I also use emulators now scatman. Now if I could actually make it all the way through final fantasy VI, I'd be happy. I did recently beat chrono trigger again.

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
watercrawl;4832032; said:
Instead of blue floss between the egg crate and the Matrix, go to a craft store (Michael's is where I went in Omaha, NE) and find what's called Plastic Canvas. Here is a link to the stuff on Amazon's website:

http://www.amazon.com/Darice-Plastic-Canvas-10X13/dp/B001H83B9Q

It is plastic with a grid pattern in it so your Matrix won't fall through and it's extremely cheap and won't break down and need replacing like the filter stuff will.
Thank you! I knew people used this in aquariums, I don't know why I couldn't put 2 & 2 together myself, but this is definitely a much better alternative!

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
it's virtually the same price +/- $1.00 per gallon.

the perceived benefit is worth the extra 1 dollar to me.

chrono trigger! now i gotta play that again.

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
The reason I bought the regular Matrix is because I also needed Prime, and the place I found that had BOTH items, only sold the regular Matrix. Another place had both, but the Pond Matrix was on back order, and I need it with the quickness!

jrimmer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Xanth
ScatMan;4831958; said:
... the smaller size pebble lets you pack a little more into the same volume of space...
I don't understand that logic. If Pond Matrix is larger chunks of Matrix wouldn't the minimization of all the space between the pieces of Matrix be an advantage with Pond Matrix? Larger pieces means less air volume means more surface area. Basically all the space that exists between Matrix is more likely to be occupied with Pond Matrix' matter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store