Meet Chappie

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
So I found out some bad news today.

The heater on the pond malfunctioned, and all the fish except a few plecos died a few days ago. He said he found it at 95 degrees.

He said there was over 50 kgs of fish that he had to pull out of the pond. A very sad day indeed. I feel really bad for my friend, some of those fish were 15+yrs old from what I understand. Most of them he had raised from 2”.
Thats rough. Chalk another one up to heater malfunctions. Did you get a final measurement on chappie by any chance?

Reactions: moe214 and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thats rough. Chalk another one up to heater malfunctions. Did you get a final measurement on chappie by any chance?
No but I estimated around 2’ from what the guy said who fished him out. He said that chappie had grown a fair bit.it was a pretty emotional thing for a guy with no tell tail emotions. Some of the fish in the pond were 15+ years old.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
After reading all this, even without getting the heater malfunction part.. I sort of decided chappie would have been happier in your tank

We always feel that fish get depressed if the tank is not big enough...... but we sometimes fail to understand that if fish have feelings, some would preferred a smaller tank but closer to their parents and buddies

My condolences though

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
After reading all this, even without getting the heater malfunction part.. I sort of decided chappie would have been happier in your tank

We always feel that fish get depressed if the tank is not big enough...... but we sometimes fail to understand that if fish have feelings, some would preferred a smaller tank but closer to their parents and buddies

My condolences though
Thank you. I almost wish I would have just taken out the wall and made a bigger home for him. But he was getting very rowdy in the end and I was genuinely concerned about him busting my tank or else I wouldn’t have taken him to the pond.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach

My condolences though
I agree. Not that I would necessarily call it "feelings". Fish get accustomed to the owner. Though most think it's just a food relationship I think there is more to it. I wouldn't argue that a small tank is better than a large but I do think there is something to the relationship of the fish to the fishkeeper. A tank lets the fish see and react to you better than a pond. To me a pond setting is a bit less than this. But Matt did the right thing at the time.
Stuff happens. Fish die. Fish keepers also can get sick and die. It's life. Doesn't mean it's all pleasant.

Reactions: moe214 and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Actually chappie was still ok.. I think the oscar was worse hit
This is true. After a few months of doing anything I could to get the Oscar out of the funk, ended up bringing it to a friends house and he is doing great over there. Has new friends to fight with. He’s one of the best looking oscars I have ever seen imo, unfortunately he’s happier with my friend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store