moray

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hello, I would like to start a moray tank. Because of my budget and time the only option is freshwater or brackish. I would like to stay freshwater if that is an option but otherwise brackish would be no problem.
I would like to keep Echidna rhodochilus or g. tyle. The leopard freshwatermoray is to expensive and these are my only option left then.

How do I keep them? All information is welcome.
I thought I need to do 24/26C and 15 gram salt/l
My pet shop sells them as freshwater fishes. Do I just buy one and throw a few grams salt in each day until I have the 15g/l ?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
You will need to pony up the money for the g. Poly instead of the g. Tile. The poly is the only true freshwater moray eel. Any other kind will require at least mid to high brackish water, or full marine conditions as it ages. They are commonly labeled as freshwater morays because they are collected in freshwater while they are young. However, they move into brackish or marine water as they get bigger. If you want to keep one of these, you will have to start adding a little bit of salt at a time until you get well into the brackish levels, like 1.015 or higher. You will have to use marine salt though, not just regular aquarium salt or table salt.

The g. Poly has been successfully kept in freshwater by several members on here. That is really the one you want. Otherwise, you will probably just end up with a saltwater tank, or a sick eel.

Reactions: InfinityARch

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
You will need to pony up the money for the g. Poly instead of the g. Tile. The poly is the only true freshwater moray eel. Any other kind will require at least mid to high brackish water, or full marine conditions as it ages. They are commonly labeled as freshwater morays because they are collected in freshwater while they are young. However, they move into brackish or marine water as they get bigger. If you want to keep one of these, you will have to start adding a little bit of salt at a time until you get well into the brackish levels, like 1.015 or higher. You will have to use marine salt though, not just regular aquarium salt or table salt.

The g. Poly has been successfully kept in freshwater by several members on here. That is really the one you want. Otherwise, you will probably just end up with a saltwater tank, or a sick eel.
I dont mind going brackish, can the tile stay in brackishwater for his whole life?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Is it recommendable to add other fish with g. Tile ?
I was thinking about
-3/4 g. Tile
-1 Dendrochirus zebra

It is said that Lionfish have a salty level of 1.006-1.025. So that should be possible.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
So after some research, people told me that lionfish can handle it but that it is not recommended.
So I will drop the idea.

Anyone an idea of what is possible to stock with moray?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Is there something similar to a lion fish or a puffer species that is possible to keep with moray?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store