moray

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Has your aquarium filters settled/cycled on brackish?

Morays are known to take their time, days, even weeks, to get comfortable with their surroundings before they start eating. If they have enough hiding place, good filtration and good aerator, they will adapt.

To trigger their eating instinct, you can put some live river shrimp (the macrobrachium ones which could tolerate brackish), and wait for several days. If you see them chasing the shrimps, you can try chopped frozen shrimps.
no its still freshwater. I wanted to put salt in tomorrow

And do u really drip every time u add new water? thats seems like a drag.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
luckily one started eating today. I put a dead fish on a fishline and started moving it before his mouth and he attacked it. RIPPED it straight of the line, it looked so awesome:D

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
here's a cool vid,

I want to put more rocks in there, but I have no money right now so that has to wait a few weeks

Reactions: tlindsey

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
no its still freshwater. I wanted to put salt in tomorrow

And do u really drip every time u add new water? thats seems like a drag.
I did the drip thing only at the first time mixing the seawater into the freshwater aquarium. After that, subsequent water changes are done normally.

Reactions: neko1

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
luckily one started eating today. I put a dead fish on a fishline and started moving it before his mouth and he attacked it. RIPPED it straight of the line, it looked so awesome:D
Congratulations, mazel tov! You're a lucky guy with an intelligent eel :D Usually G. Tile takes longer time to adapt to new environment and begin eating. Yours are rather fast. Seems like a very good start & you got good water quality! Again, congratulations!

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
Just want to add, most moray eels are depending on their smelling ability, not sight. So if we put food on the aquarium, they will spend some time sniffing around (like dogs) before they're able to pinpoint the location of the smell, then they will go for it. This will be a bit harder if there are other fishes in the aquarium, because the smell become mixed. But any healthy moray will eventually find the food (unless other morays has already beat them to it) :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store