moray

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
So I finally found 2 morays. The tank is ready to go only its still freshwater. The morays are 'swimming' happily in the tank. The tank needs to get a salt level of 1,5gram per liter.
How do I do this? do I add 20% brackish water every week? that has a saltiness of 1,5gram/liter
Well, when I was "brackishizing" my aquarium, it started as full FW, then I gradually add real seawater in a span of several weeks (during water changes), until the hydrometer says 10 ppt (about 1.007-1.008 sg). Then from there I make the salinity variable (maybe 1.005 to 1.008 sg) to simulate the ups and downs of salinity in a brackish river, by alternating between adding seawater and freshwater during water changes.

Reactions: neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Well, when I was "brackishizing" my aquarium, it started as full FW, then I gradually add real seawater in a span of several weeks (during water changes), until the hydrometer says 10 ppt (about 1.007-1.008 sg). Then from there I make the salinity variable (maybe 1.005 to 1.008 sg) to simulate the ups and downs of salinity in a brackish river, by alternating between adding seawater and freshwater during water changes.
and did u do a full saltwater refill when u changed ur water every week? And how much water did u swap?

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
and did u do a full saltwater refill when u changed ur water every week? And how much water did u swap?
No, not always full salt refill. I took out about 20% of my existing aquarium waters weekly, and replace them with equal amount of seawater or with freshwater from my well (in an alternating fashion), usually it's 2x seawater change and 2x freshwater change for every month. I like to keep my water not so far from around 10 ppt, but the degrees of difference changes every week within that range.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
No, not always full salt refill. I took out about 20% of my existing aquarium waters weekly, and replace them with equal amount of seawater or with freshwater from my well (in an alternating fashion), usually it's 2x seawater change and 2x freshwater change for every month. I like to keep my water not so far from around 10 ppt, but the degrees of difference changes every week within that range.
but they won't get into a shock when u put in 20% saltwater with a saltine of 1,018?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I have a problem, they dont seem to eat:(...
I tried dead fish and mussel. I even tried putting one on a fishing line and moving it like a real fish but it had no effect. Live food doesn't work either. Is it a good idea to add more salt or do a big waterchange? Or shall I wait for a few days?

john_lord_b3

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2017
sites.google.com
I have a problem, they dont seem to eat:(...
I tried dead fish and mussel. I even tried putting one on a fishing line and moving it like a real fish but it had no effect. Live food doesn't work either. Is it a good idea to add more salt or do a big waterchange? Or shall I wait for a few days?
Has your aquarium filters settled/cycled on brackish?

Morays are known to take their time, days, even weeks, to get comfortable with their surroundings before they start eating. If they have enough hiding place, good filtration and good aerator, they will adapt.

To trigger their eating instinct, you can put some live river shrimp (the macrobrachium ones which could tolerate brackish), and wait for several days. If you see them chasing the shrimps, you can try chopped frozen shrimps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store