Moving a Glass 125?

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hey all. I believe I have sealed the deal and am going to get a glass 125 gallon glass tank and beefy stand in what appears to be pretty good shape off cl for 250! I don't know how we're gunna move it saturday and it's stressing me out. Moving my 90 gallon was a herculean task for me and my fiance's weak muscles. Anyone have any tips or videos of your heavy glass tank moves?

Here is my plan so far;

-Tomorrow early morning I will rip up the plants and co2 because I need to anyway. If the guy emails me back to confirm his address and a time, then I will move the fish and filters in my big trash can (or wherever they will fit, salvini fry are going in a breeder net with the guppies haha) and start getting rid of the sand in buckets.

-Then I'll tear down the 90 and move the kitchen table to make space, thankfully it folds. Sofa will be moved to the center of the room and look dumb. I may leave it, I think there is barely enough space. Supply shelf will be going in the hallway, nowhere else for it. I will move the 29 gallon too or shut it down and sell that as well. If everything goes as planned I'll head to the bank and say bye bye to my money once again. :mad:

- I will drain the 90, and then have the fiance help me move the thing into the kitchen or on the back patio. Only doing that because there is no way that I can fit the 90 AND the 125 against the wall in here. There isn't enough outlets anyway.

-For sure my fiance's friends OWE ME and I will forced labor them into helping grab it back out of the truck on sunday. I'm making a nice sunday dinner for them. That will be the payment for slow cooker ribs lol.

MY CONCERNS:
-If he backs out last second I risk stressing the fish by having to move them back in the 90. Not draining it till I know for sure though.
-Gotta transport it 20ish miles in a ghetto expedition. Suspension is kinda bad, and the 52 is real wavy in some places, so it may get jostled a bit. We may have to make an additional trip if the stand and tank won't fit.
-There is a small step into the main hall of the complex, followed by 2 more steeper steps into the hall that leads to us. (Yeah probably breaks disability laws.... no ramps or elevator in this place lmao wtf?)
-If something happens where the cl guy won't help or friends flake at the last second we will have to move the tank by ourselves. Or I can beg my dad's friend or my gaming friend who apparently lives near me but I doubt they would help. Crap.
-Also the tank might have a sump. Sumps freak me out since I rent and have no plumbing experience. If it's crap and backflows 125 gallons I'm evicted or forced to move to keep my fish or sued by neighbors. That is a dealbreaker tbh.

This picture has me confused... there's like 2 little reflecty circles? Could that be inside the stand? Here's the pics.
01010_k2SToGkiCk3_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_4JeaG5tlJDq_1200x900.jpg
How can I back out if I get there or he emails me (I asked in the last mail) and it's sumped? :confused:

UGH THIS IS STRESSIN ME.
BTW. Gunna post the 90 on the marketplace once this is taken care of to help gain back the costs, if anyone might want just the tank. Making it cheap since it needs a reseal. Keeping the stand, I eyeballed a new 90 acrylic at aquatic warehouse. Plus the stand is beefy.

Hope that made sense. Between this and spring cleaning I'm TIRED. EHHH.
:eek:

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
It doesn't look drilled to me. As far as the move only suggestion is friend or friends to help carry it. 125 isn't too bad weight wise about 200 pounds or so empty.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Get 2 furniture dollies. Place the stand on them and the tank on the stand. You can roll it around. Strap the whole deal to each dolly, you can go up the steps one end at time. I moved my 450 tall this way, it's 1 1/4" acrylic. With the stand its over 800 lbs. Don't stress out, remember they built the pyramids somehow. Its not that difficult and a 125 really isn't that big. Good luck

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I'm not trying to be some racist ignoramus or anything, but since you're in San Diego, wouldn't be more feasible to hire a couple of latino day laborers off the street? I have family members who often do this in the San Jose area when they need some inexpensive movers/lifters.

heavyhitter

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
Nebraska
I'm not trying to be some racist ignoramus or anything, but since you're in San Diego, wouldn't be more feasible to hire a couple of latino day laborers off the street? I have family members who often do this in the San Jose area when they need some inexpensive movers/lifters.
I hired a small moving company to move (2) 180's in my basement it cost me $80 that's dirt cheap I would have gladly paid double and they were insured and bonded. I wouldn't want the liability of someone illegal or not getting insured and suing me. Also if the moving company dropped it I would have been reimbursed. A 125 isn't that heavy even for two average males.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I hired a small moving company to move (2) 180's in my basement it cost me $80 that's dirt cheap I would have gladly paid double and they were insured and bonded. I wouldn't want the liability of someone illegal or not getting insured and suing me. Also if the moving company dropped it I would have been reimbursed. A 125 isn't that heavy even for two average males.
I wonder how many of these guys, with actual advertised businesses, actually are insured. In my area, we have this problem with uninsured tree removal services.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Well it's not drilled thankfully. Saving the whole sump idea for when we own our place and my garage is stuffed with 300 gallon tanks. Ha. Planning on getting land, a manufactured house (or dope fifth wheel and truck till we can build a normal house) and then building a big garage. Dad has classic cars I will be getting once he kicks the bucket and I'll need the workspace and storage. :p

Luckily we are on the first floor here and the floor is just tile over a concrete slab. Haven't had any issues with the 90. Leveling it might be a pain though, if I remember right there is a slight slope in here and getting the 90 level on the old stand was a task. Maybe I will have to shim it up.

I did get a quote on a mover, they wanted like 150 bucks for it, and everyone else around here seems to have like a 3 hr minimum? No thanks. I think as long as we have help we will be ok but otherwise it will be a struggle. I suppose some home depot dudes would help when in doubt haha. Just those stupid pointless steps make everything a pain. I will try that 2 dolly and staps idea. Seems like it would put less strain on the silicone. We need dollies anyway and home depot has a lax return policy too haha.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The dolly (dollies?) is a good call. If anything, you'll be able to maneuver around the place with little effort. Good luck.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
The dolly (dollies?) is a good call. If anything, you'll be able to maneuver around the place with little effort. Good luck.
This would be my concern
Moving my 90 gallon was a herculean task for me and my fiance's weak muscles.
Don't assume everyone possess the same physical attributes.

I'm 5'6" and under 150lb, and I moved my 90 by myself.......but its not something I would ever recommend to others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store