Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
When you look at Catfish you find endless people collecting Tiger Shovel Nose, Red Tail Catfish, Hybrids of the two, Iridescent sharks, etc. Albeit beautiful catfish in their own right we still see a very limited range of larger Catfish species in the hobby outside of the few I listed & a few others. I feel like Brachyplatystoma are a mid-ground in Catfish keeping, they aren't as common as Red Tail Catfish but they aren't as rare as the likes of the Tangtze River Catfish or even the Lince Catfish (another one on my list!)

My 3 favourite of the Brachyplatystoma family has to be B. Tigrinum, B. Juruense & B. Rousseauxii - all 3 of which I have now got in my collection.

Firstly we start with my Tigrinus. I acquired him/ her in March 2020 at roughly 11-12inches, come March 2021 he/she measured approx 18inches. I previously owned 2 Tigrinus catfish, however, two do not work well together at all & especially at juvenile size was just constant stress/ fights between the two. I decided to separate them & sold one to a friend, the other one I kept myself. I sadly lost the one I kept a few weeks later during a 12+ hour power outage overnight & into the day, so it was a clean slate fresh start. I feed my Tigrinus currently on a mix of Sturgeon pellets, Carnivore Pellets & a few other pellets mixed into his diet & I hold back on seafood as much as possible, although being the tank mates he lives with he does still get the occasional bits of seafood.

Pictures of the Tigrinus:

193540292_1679197615620291_698682190077928727_n.jpg
193420156_295711165546607_1580202482585132362_n.jpg

Towards the end of 2020 the UK received a few Dorado Catfish (B. Rousseauxii) from Europe, which I believe originated from NA imports from South America (quite the journey if so). I decided I would pick one of these up despite hearing & seeing many horror stories of bent noses, spontaneous death, etc. The first individual I purchased was approx 1.5-2inches and he got off to a good start, eating within 24hrs, however, I stupidly added tank mates which led to stress & a quite quick decline in its health, resulting in loosing the original Dorado Catfish a few weeks after his arrival. I decided that this wouldn't stop me, I decided I would give it another go. I set-up a pass-through system off my 220G tank, in which water flows from the above tank sump into a tote & overflows out the other end. This way I can keep the new one alone & in a large water volume which is great for stability of water parameters & also likely contributes to slightly faster growth than a smaller tank standing alone. He started off on Bloodworms, now I have got him eating Hikari Carnivore pellets.

Pictures of the Dorado:

193426030_232578255297238_957044450021306945_n.jpg
185713465_527444698423217_8035689619092476358_n.jpg

That's it! I had 2 of the 3, my hunt was next for a B. Juruense. A seller in the UK did a South American import containing 5 Juruense, time to get one surely...? Well, 2 were dead on arrival sadly, regardless I placed my reservation on this specific Juruense, I was ready. The seller often doesn't ship fish out with postal services & chooses to group a load of deliveries by location & do them in 1 day, which I was fine with waiting, I cannot complain at some free meals & a bit of extra growth for the same price, along with further quarantine... however, I woke up one morning to find out that specific specimen had passed away overnight at his facility, the remaining 2 Juruense were also very weak as he had struggled to get them eating. I mentioned I would still be interested in either of the 2 if they made it, as all were stunning examples of the Flash Juruense pattern. Sadly they all died. The seasons coming to an end & I thought that was the end of the road for this years hope of owning a Juruense... until a friend of mine who does imports messaged me to inform me he had some special fish coming, one of which he knew I wanted. 3 Juruense! Although after the last experience my hopes weren't the highest, this was my last shot. My friend successfully landed all 3 Juruense, got them eating and now I have one, sadly not a Flash, but a Juruense nonetheless!

Pictures of the Juruense:

193499531_1015757085624790_8524852318895289346_n.jpg
193434007_178274684226081_281584296862926960_n.jpg

I will be keeping him behind this divider with an Ocellaris Sp Brokopondo who was bullied until he is smashing food & slightly larger.

Where do I go now?

I've always loved Brachyplatystoma & the Lince Catfish, along with many others although I can't own them all. If I ever purchase another Brachyplatystoma it will 100% be the B. Platynemum. We hardly ever see any large/ adult specimens in the hobby & I've heard multiple reasons for struggling; mostly along the lines of not eating, stress, diet, etc. I would like the challenge, but for now, I am contempt with the 3 Brachys. One day I hope I can say I have acquired a Lince Catfish too, there are actually 2 local to me for sale now, but no I won't start that venture... just yet.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow, a great beginning to a blog on the three Brachies! And I am gad to see you back, it's been some time you seemed to had been lost out of sight :) Hope your datnoid love and keeping have not withered either.

Is it just me or do others not see, nor are able to click on the photos? Not that I need to see them, all babies look more or less the same. The write up is of the utmost value to me.

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Wow, a great beginning to a blog on the three Brachies! And I am gad to see you back, it's been some time you seemed to had been lost out of sight :) Hope your datnoid love and keeping have not withered either.

Is it just me or do others not see, nor are able to click on the photos? Not that I need to see them, all babies look more or less the same. The write up is of the utmost value to me.
Hey Viktor, appreciate the kind words! I'm still very passionate for Datnoids, I should maybe do a thread update of my current Datnoid collection as I've picked up some cool specimens over the last year or so. I've been around, just not much on MFK. I look forward to experiencing the Dorado's & Juruense's behaviour, and in the long term would love to see them alongside the Tigrinus, I can only hope that works though. Tigrinus seem to max out nowadays around the 24-28" mark, although no doubts they can also exceed this, which, regardless, would long-term likely leave the Tigrinus as the smallest Catfish, although there is a long road ahead!

I also realised after it was too late to edit this post that the photos only displayed on the Computer, sadly not loading on mobile. I suspect I did something wrong, but it was to late to go back and edit my original post. I've attached the same photos I used in my write up to this message!

193426030_232578255297238_957044450021306945_n.jpg

185713465_527444698423217_8035689619092476358_n.jpg

193420156_295711165546607_1580202482585132362_n.jpg

193540292_1679197615620291_698682190077928727_n.jpg

193499531_1015757085624790_8524852318895289346_n.jpg

193434007_178274684226081_281584296862926960_n.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Lovely specimen. I see them now. Thank you. I only use a PC for internet, not mobile.

Where do you go to forums? FB? I see you use something called band. IDK what it is. IG is mostly for visuals, right?

Lengthwise, juruense and tigs are more or less the same. Dorado is of course a much bigger fish in the wild but no one seems to have raised them past 2' or so in captivity among hobbyists. Even 2' dorado is extremely rare to see. I know of only one guy, he replied to my thread, if memory serves.

Tig females grow bigger, maxing out usually around 30" after a decade or so. Males seem to grow smaller and slimmer.

Unless in a huge tank, I don't think combining would work.

Reactions: Jush

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Lovely specimen. I see them now. Thank you. I only use a PC for internet, not mobile.

Where do you go to forums? FB? I see you use something called band. IDK what it is. IG is mostly for visuals, right?

Lengthwise, juruense and tigs are more or less the same. Dorado is of course a much bigger fish in the wild but no one seems to have raised them past 2' or so in captivity among hobbyists. Even 2' dorado is extremely rare to see. I know of only one guy, he replied to my thread, if memory serves.

Tig females grow bigger, maxing out usually around 30" after a decade or so. Males seem to grow smaller and slimmer.

Unless in a huge tank, I don't think combining would work.
I'm mainly on Facebook, it's a very love hate place though, can be scrolling & seeing beautiful fish/ setups from all over the world and then see World War III starting haha. Instagram mainly just a platform where I share some of my photos & BAND is just another app used to share photos/ sell occasional bits from my collection, typically the best way to avoid Facebook Bans. I also forgot to include my YouTube on there, but that's just for some shorts around the fishroom, nothing interesting to sit and watch!

I'm on the exact same page as you are with Dorados, people tell me I'm stupid, I'm insane, etc for owning a Dorado Catfish because they get this size in the wild and that size on Google Images, lol, but I'm yet to see someone grow one out in captivity to over 36inches, most as you say 24inches or so, with the occasional going up to 30inch. There was one in the Netherlands from a guy called Danny, his was 24inches after 4 years. Based off the info on Male vs Female Tigrinus, I would hazard a guess at mine being a male due to his overall shape.

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
I regret to inform (although a bit late) that the Juruense is no longer with us, and kind-of makes this post invalid. I had it behind the divider, a few days after this post I came to the fish room to find there was no longer a Juruense, lids weighed down with ~10lbs weights (5kg), divider wedged side to side, top to bottom, etc. I don't know how, what, if, but, how or when but none of the fish looked fat & there was no Juruense on the floor.
My guess is some how the divider was pushed out and popped back into place, and one of the larger fish on the other side had an expensive snack, but I can't do anything now & always have awful luck with my first of each Brachyplatystoma....... I will keep trying of course to find another & take further precautions.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I regret to inform (although a bit late) that the Juruense is no longer with us, and kind-of makes this post invalid. I had it behind the divider, a few days after this post I came to the fish room to find there was no longer a Juruense, lids weighed down with ~10lbs weights (5kg), divider wedged side to side, top to bottom, etc. I don't know how, what, if, but, how or when but none of the fish looked fat & there was no Juruense on the floor.
My guess is some how the divider was pushed out and popped back into place, and one of the larger fish on the other side had an expensive snack, but I can't do anything now & always have awful luck with my first of each Brachyplatystoma....... I will keep trying of course to find another & take further precautions.
Man I’m sorry to hear that. It would be nice if it just randomly popped up somewhere unexpected. But sorry for the loss.

Reactions: Jush

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Man I’m sorry to hear that. It would be nice if it just randomly popped up somewhere unexpected. But sorry for the loss.
Thetank is bare apart from 2 pieces of wood, serves well & easy to clean. Sadly I believe it's been eaten or some aliens abducted such a beautiful specimen, but I think I'll go with the first option.

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store