My albino polypterus is covered in slime PLEASE HELP

Victoria Lovera

Feeder Fish
Oct 23, 2017
796931EB-0573-47D8-BEAE-091D8D0A29A4.jpeg I am unfortunately having some serious issues with my polypterus that I thought would have caused his death by now but he doesn’t appear to be getting any worse or better...

He is 4in long, first one to be introduced to a brand new cycled monster tank. Now his tank mates are: 1 silver arowana 2 peacock bass 2 plecos and another polypterus. At the beginning he was very active and a good eater. He even ate small feeder fish that were intended for the peacock bass and arowana. Then, he got progressively more inactive and stopped growing while his counterpart is almost double his size.

Fearing that he might of been attacked by the more aggressive fish and had an injury, I placed him in a medicated hospital tank for two weeks where he only got more inactive. Ruled out indigestion by not feeding for 3 days, pooped normally and ate peas like a trooper the next day. However, he still got progressively more inactive to the point where he is completely stiff, even to the touch.

I released him back into the tank, he still eats whatever lands close to his mouth but will not move an inch. I can see gill movement and he will open and close his mouth every now and then. My water levels are always controlled as well as temperature. Since he isn’t able to reach the surface like my other polypterus, I installed a larger air curtain to keep the oxygen levels high.

Today he developed a coat of slime all over that I honestly have no idea what to make of.

None of the other fish pay him any mind. None of the other fish have any health or feeding issues what so ever. I can’t bring myself to let him go so PLEASE HELP ME.7271FA43-886D-4D27-9F2C-2BD685773BCE.jpeg19B729E4-29D0-42CD-BA04-B9FF81C194A5.jpeg 451730BD-3036-4848-A069-FBEF8FD6389F.jpeg1ADA5697-77CD-4B0F-80EC-84AD16A023EA.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
First would post ur actual numbers if ur water. Not doubting that you have a cycled tank just ur normal maybe different than my normal.

Would keep the poly in ur hospital tank if the size permits. Couple of months aro and pbass May try to make a meal out of the poly.

At 4inches the albino poly sen will be slow growing. That’s cause of being captive bred and wil slow esp 6 inches.

The pics you posted don’t show any excessive slime coat. Atleast I can see that doesn’t mean it’s not there. Maybe post some better pics.

Would stop with the live food. I assume you use it for the pbass and aro. Get a a good staple pellet will work well for the poly and will avoid disease transferred from feeders to ur stock fish.

Slime coat in fish can be due to stress vs parasites. So would keep the poly in one tank and preferably by itself as the tank mates are aggressive. Way may more than the albino Senegalus and will potentially be soon. Plus not sure what happens during the night.

If it’s eating then it’s a good sign. Would wait on meds unless you can post a good pic showing something off.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Would recommend everything kno4te stated above. Slimecoat shedding for me on polys is always due to a cettain sensitive fish not able to tolerate chlorine/chlorimine/ammonia.

I had a large congicus shed slime coat after every 50% water changes. But on one occasion, not sure if my city treated our well water differently. The chlorine odor was stronger this time and had some Apollo sharks gasping for air, and Congicus shedding slime coat. I changed 50% religiously every 4-5 days.

Solution : seachem prime dechlorinator water treatment during next 50% water change, & aquarium salt. Took about 3-4 days to get congicus back to normal. Haven't had any issues ever since.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'd say the same. Those guys know what they're talking about.
I'd like to echo though the fact that if it does survive it is going to be sorely outmatched for size and become a snack. You may want to find another tank to be its forever home. What is your other poly?

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
View attachment 1282892 I am unfortunately having some serious issues with my polypterus that I thought would have caused his death by now but he doesn’t appear to be getting any worse or better...

He is 4in long, first one to be introduced to a brand new cycled monster tank. Now his tank mates are: 1 silver arowana 2 peacock bass 2 plecos and another polypterus. At the beginning he was very active and a good eater. He even ate small feeder fish that were intended for the peacock bass and arowana. Then, he got progressively more inactive and stopped growing while his counterpart is almost double his size.

Fearing that he might of been attacked by the more aggressive fish and had an injury, I placed him in a medicated hospital tank for two weeks where he only got more inactive. Ruled out indigestion by not feeding for 3 days, pooped normally and ate peas like a trooper the next day. However, he still got progressively more inactive to the point where he is completely stiff, even to the touch.

I released him back into the tank, he still eats whatever lands close to his mouth but will not move an inch. I can see gill movement and he will open and close his mouth every now and then. My water levels are always controlled as well as temperature. Since he isn’t able to reach the surface like my other polypterus, I installed a larger air curtain to keep the oxygen levels high.

Today he developed a coat of slime all over that I honestly have no idea what to make of.

None of the other fish pay him any mind. None of the other fish have any health or feeding issues what so ever. I can’t bring myself to let him go so PLEASE HELP ME.View attachment 1282893View attachment 1282894 View attachment 1282895View attachment 1282896
Looks fine but keep eye on water chlorine and ammonia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store