My fish are dying and I don't know why!

Dispatch273

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
CT
Specs for the tank are as follows. 40 gallon breeder, 82*, emperor 400 biowheel filter and a smaller aquaclear(maybe the 50?). Usually I do 1-2x 50% wc a week. I did a 50% change on Saturday then went away until Sunday night. They were not fed while I was away. I did another 50% wc yesterday. This morning my only female geophagus pellegrini was dead and a few of my other fish look like they may be on their way out. I can't see any physical reason for them to be dying although they are flashing on the rocks. I tested the water this morning and the results are Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 0ppm. I just turned the heat up a couple degrees but have not yet added salt since I have an eel in the tank. I didn't know how salt would effect him. How much salt is safe to add with the eel? Any ideas what my be wrong with my fish? Help!!!

captne1212

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2012
connecticut
Specs for the tank are as follows. 40 gallon breeder, 82*, emperor 400 biowheel filter and a smaller aquaclear(maybe the 50?). Usually I do 1-2x 50% wc a week. I did a 50% change on Saturday then went away until Sunday night. They were not fed while I was away. I did another 50% wc yesterday. This morning my only female geophagus pellegrini was dead and a few of my other fish look like they may be on their way out. I can't see any physical reason for them to be dying although they are flashing on the rocks. I tested the water this morning and the results are Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 0ppm. I just turned the heat up a couple degrees but have not yet added salt since I have an eel in the tank. I didn't know how salt would effect him. How much salt is safe to add with the eel? Any ideas what my be wrong with my fish? Help!!!
Do you have city water? If so maybe doing multiple water changes have been introducing a large amount of chlorine into the tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Did you use dechlor? Could be a temp fall or ph and u r reading 0ppm nitrates?

#1 S. Vettel

Dispatch273

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
CT
Did you use dechlor? Could be a temp fall or ph and u r reading 0ppm nitrates?

#1 S. Vettel
Yes, it's in the water conditioner I use after every water change. I have 2 thermometers on the tank so I know the temp is accurate. I guess it could be the PH. I'll test that and let you know what it is. It usually runs about 7.4-7.6. Yes I'm reading 0 Nitrates using a new test kit(got a new one because I thought my other one was defective due to reading 0 nitrates lol)

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Yes, it's in the water conditioner I use after every water change. I have 2 thermometers on the tank so I know the temp is accurate. I guess it could be the PH. I'll test that and let you know what it is. It usually runs about 7.4-7.6. Yes I'm reading 0 Nitrates using a new test kit(got a new one because I thought my other one was defective due to reading 0 nitrates lol)
Do you have enough bubbles for oxygen exchange? No fish should die from fresh water and since u read ppm nitrates u may not have the bb that converts nitrites to nitrates! Pics? Last time u vac and clean filter?

#1 S. Vettel

Dispatch273

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
CT
There is plenty of oxygen in the tank. This tank has been up and running for over 6 months so I'm sure the bb is good. I clean the filter media on this tanks filters once every 2 weeks but I alternate so only one is getting swished clean once a month. I don't vac since I have sand, but I do clean the stuff that falls on top of the sand. I also have a million MTS to aerate the sand. Could ich kill fish before it even shows up on their bodies? I'm just wondering if that is why they are flashing on the decorations....

aquaman95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
washington
what kind of fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store