My GATF

Lugal

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
GATF reacts to environment change. If you change anything in your tank at all, it will get nervous and may panic/ stop eating/ rubs its mouth with glass. Some may not be like this but mine does, for a day at least.

Adding non-aggressive tank mates like 1 Bala Shark/ 1 Tinfoil barb at the same size will help also because those fish will make it feels more secure and eat right in front of it, stimulating it at the same time.

Don't broke easily though. My biggest GATF was dead-food-trained in 48" desolation tank for 2 weeks when it was 4", along with Balas. Got so thin as a pencil but once it accepted dead minnows, there's no going back for it. Went from 4" to 11" in 9 months.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
2 days in a row. Smashed a whole smelt today. Very excited. Hope this is the turning point in it staying eating smelt. Will update tomorrow.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
the additional stronger flow will encourage it to accept new food items. Try introducing the prepared foods directly into the flow as this will help mimic prey movement and might help trigger the fish's natural attack response to this movement.
Very true as said above.

I got my 3.5" Gatf eating frozen within the week.
The secret was a directional flow and throwing frozen food in the flow, the Gatf would chase and eat while the food was "fleeing", and leave what would sink to the bottom. Eventually he started eating anything, when I upgraded his tank, it didn't have enough flow and he went back to eating only live, then I added flow and he is back eating like a champ.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Been throwing smelt into the current. 3 days of failure.
Today out of excitement i got lucky and it hit a smelt swam around with it in its mouth and crushed it. Really waiting for it to become a consistent eater.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Update 2 days in row it has ate smelt. Once I get it onto smelt consistently i will try t9 fimd something to pellet train if not maybe look into vitachem soak for nutrients.

Reactions: Chub_by
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store