My New 900 gallon, filtration ideas from you seasoned MFK'ers, Advice Needed !

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
This is a closed loop system so there's no added head pressure from the height or location of the filter relative to the tank other than added plumbing. If, for instance, the pump and filter is in the basement you would have the same head pressure as if the pump/filter were right next to the tank minus the added plumbing. Of course you want to put your filter as close to the tank as possible to reduce plumbing cost and so on, but being at the same level or below the tank wont effect the pumps performance.

Weird huh?
Egon is right; thanks for pointing that out. I boofed. Sorry about that. :screwy:

I was ignoring the "suction head" aspect of the closed loop which should be subtracted from the discharge head, essentially canceling one another out.

So with the head pressure from the Filter (on average 5' of head) and the friction head added by the plumbing the total head is going to be around 6' (assuming you plumb the tank with ~10' total of 2" PVC and have 2 or fewer 90 elbows).

Here's a handy calculator that might help if you want to double check my figures: http://www.aquaticeco.com/calculators/pump-calculator.htm

So depending on which Flow chart you use for the Reeflo Dart (I came across three of them), you would either be getting 3,010GPH, 2,750 or 2,428GPH @ 6' of head.

The Dart will work just fine for the Ultima 4000. Sorry for the misinformation.

In regards to the Ultima 2000, the Dart may be too powerful for that model. Aqua UV recommends a max flow of 2,500GPH for that model, so your pumps (depending on what flow chart you look at) may be too powerful.

I'm not sure if noise is a factor, but in my experience, Hammerheads have a pretty loud hum, whereas my Super Dart Golds were very quiet. The Hammerhead does ~5,000GPH at 6' of head, so according to Aqua UV, that would exceed the max recommended flow for the Ultima II 4000, so you should jump up to the 6000 model.

In case anyone is interested, the best write-up I was able to find in regards to head calculations is here: http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/07-html/7-01.html

FlatFishLeo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
USA
Hey awsome !! Ya my tank is 120x36x36...Filtration will depend greatly on your stock choices both now and what the future will bring to the tank and right now is the perfect time to start with design and like i say keeping in mind what your tank stock "WILL" look like is most important !!!!Oh and by the way my tank is a tenecor also with 1 inch all around ...I drilled mine for a closed loop but that is completly up to you:)
Hulon,

Great to have a chance to chat with you about life support. My mind now has cleared up after discussions with you and KenDragon. You guys are making me seriously design a life support system to fit my specific needs! Great knowledge from a Awesome Cichla Keeper!!! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
Hulon,

Great to have a chance to chat with you about life support. My mind now has cleared up after discussions with you and KenDragon. You guys are making me seriously design a life support system to fit my specific needs! Great knowledge from a Awesome Cichla Keeper!!! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Great having a serious fishkeeper over the pleasure was all mine hope to see you again!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store