My new baby flowerhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
He loves that food. This past probably two days he’s gotten more aggressive feeding. He chase down a piece of food quickly. It’s fun to watch. I also have to complain about how fast they sink. I was just thinking that today. I’ve been sticking the tips of my fingers in the water everyday. Each time he’s been getting closer to my fingers. Maybe he’ll hand feed soon. Sadly going back to college so will only see him on some weekends. At least he’s coming with me next term.
Oh, sad you can't take him with you. Why not? That is very cool that he is becoming more familiar with you. When that happens; Finwin calls them Water Puppies :) Hee hee. His red coloring is coming in. Maybe he will be Hot Pink---your favorite color wasn't it? ;). His nuchal hump is noted. Looks good with the colors of your tank. Nice partnership of colors.

Reactions: jwitty

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I don't know the consistancy of your particular brand of food, it is supposed to be quality. As for the sinking aspect of it; try soaking it for different short periods of time first before insertion. This is a liitle easier for your fish's digestive tract anyway. Between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I use a thoroughly cleaned (no residue) plastic yogurt cup with tank water.

I like most Tetra products, but I recently bought Tetra PRO Pleco Wafers as vegetable supplement pellet (vegetation based foods are important as an additive to cichlid type fish diet. Many fish foods have them in their ingredients. )
The Tetra pellets sink like a rock, are very big, extremely hard and hang around for days in the tanks before I have to remove them. I might try them as weekend feeders. I have Tetra Veggie Wafers ordered on the way. They are smaller sized and are supposed to dissolve faster. They are Zucchini based. I told the Tetra rep I would try them sauteed in olive oil and see how well I liked them. :) Oops, I mean how well my fish like them.

Flowerhorn89

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
INDIA
Oh man, your fh reminds me of my first baby fh. I got her in 2008 and she was one beast! She grew to be 10 inches long and had great colour and personality. She lived for a long long time almost 8 years, though I was new to fishes and didn’t take much care(read terrible)she was hardy as heck and never ever got sick unlike the FHs these days that fall sick every other month ... I will watch your thread. :popcorn:

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
When you get back to your fish, you might occasionally add vegetation. My cichlids will eat water wisteria, cooked brocolli, dandilion leaves, chickweed. The brocolli should be finely diced, the others can be rinsed well and floated, and mine will have fun tearing it apart. Otherwise add some type of vegetation based bottom feeder pellets. Algae, or Zucchini based are good.

Reactions: FINWIN and jwitty

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
LOL is that a pegboard background?
Fancy isn’t it? I thought I could hang tools back there and see if my flowerhorn is a handy man lol. Yeah it’s a peg board the tank is by my old work bench. It was the most level spot in my basement.

Reactions: Fishflyer

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Good luck! Always fun to raise them from a tiny juvenile. Great looking fh.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Fancy isn’t it? I thought I could hang tools back there and see if my flowerhorn is a handy man lol. Yeah it’s a peg board the tank is by my old work bench. It was the most level spot in my basement.
Hahaha. It is possible to train cichlids but I don't think he could master being a Master Craftsman. Maybe octopus. Finwin has been having success with training hers. I would maybe start with training him to poop in one place like hers does. She is able to pet hers too.
I don't know which you meant, but I don't either your fish or tank are ugly. Quite the reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store