My saltwater journey

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Either way I think. Give it a bit when you get trates dose again. See if what you have is established then just keep it constant til it wipes it out quickly.
Update:

I've only dosed the 2ppm ammonia once.

Friday: dosed 2ppm ammonia
Saturday: 0 ammonia 2ppm nitrite 0 nitrate
Monday (today): 0 ammonia, 0.25 nitrite, 10 or 20 ppm nitrate

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Update:

I've only dosed the 2ppm ammonia once.

Looks like it converts the ammonia pretty quick. I'd dose again see if it as fast.

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Okay, start the clock. I just dosed 2ppm ammonia again.

Monday: dosed 2ppm ammonia
Tuesday: 8:01 am: 0ppm ammonia, 5ppm nitrite, --- didn't test nitrates

So it's been less than 24 hours and my bacteria has processed all ammonia but my nitrites are still hanging around.

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Monday: dosed 2ppm ammonia
Tuesday: 8:01 am: 0ppm ammonia, 5ppm nitrite, --- didn't test nitrates
Wednesday: 9:01am: 0ppm ammonia, 0.25 nitrite, --- didn't test nitrites... I'm sure they're there lol

I haven't dosed since Monday. When should I dose again and when should I stop dosing? How many ppm of ammonia should the tank process in what amount of time before I add my two little clowns? That's all that is going in there for a while. Next I'll add the cleanup crew and coral.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I don't know for sure it sounds good so far. Give it a double dose and see what happens I mean nothing in there to hurt and worse comes to worse do a water change, or just add more bacteria.

Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
I don't know for sure it sounds good so far. Give it a double dose and see what happens I mean nothing in there to hurt and worse comes to worse do a water change, or just add more bacteria.

All levels of ammonia and nitrite are zero as of 5pm today.

I'm thinking about just letting the system go until next week. This will give it time to settle a little more and then I'm adding two small fish. I'm going to lightly feed them and I highly doubt they produce 2ppm of ammonia like how I'm dosing. The system will process what they produce without any problem. I'm really happy with how fast this cycled. I'm going to let the system sit and do a large water change late next week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store