Mystery - colorful female aulonocara?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Btw most hormones are added directly to the water, not via the diet.

Longmayitreign

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2019
Toronto
Sometimes it can happen but I have only had it happen to me with hybrids.
A while ago I had a ob peacock that looked male and was fully bright orange and pink, then one day she was pregnant and produced fry. It 100% looked male, but stuff like that can happen with hybrids and some mbunas rarely.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It only happens when people initially misidentify the sex of the fish. lol

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
Hey there, I observed today something very strange. I tried to feed that eureka and at begining he/she refused ( but looks intrested), and then a saw a big cloud of smoke going out of this fish?? right after eureka start to eat like crazy. Is it possible that this smoke comes from eaten eggs???

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Give a few days and his appetite should be back. I've had a male compressicep and male fryeri that always did the breeding dance with one another, both full colored males.
I once owned an adult male N. venustus, and an adult C. moorii, that went through the same pseudo spawning routine at least once a month. The venustus would shake & shimmy as though it was fertilizing eggs, while the moorii would act as though it was picking up eggs with its mouth. The rest of this all male tank would be forced to either end of my 6ft tank while this "pair" did their thing in the middle of the tank.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Possible dust cloud from grinding limestone? Who knows - but not smoke from eggs. :)

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
Possible dust cloud from grinding limestone? Who knows - but not smoke from eggs. :)
So concluding - we have here a *** peacock who after sex with his mate decide to grab a piece of limestone to his mouth and hold it for few days (im sure i saw something in mouth) and then when he gets hungry he firstly chew a rock and then go for food?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store