Need help identifying parasite

hywaydave

Feeder Fish
Sep 24, 2021
I have a 53 gallon tank with one pumpkinseed and one bluegill, both taken from the same pond at the same time, about 3 weeks ago. Tank is cycled and has been running for 6+ weeks using the fishless cycling process; my ammonia and nitrites have been 0ppm for 2+ weeks, while nitrates are generally 5ppm or less. No fish existed in this tank prior to these two.

The bluegill came home with a white worm-like parasite attached to it's pectoral fin, about a half inch long. I was going to try and get him out of the tank and remove it with tweezers, but put it off a few days and then it was gone. The pumpkinseed looked clean from the start. Fast forward 3 weeks today and now I'm seeing multiple white hair-like worms on both fish, mostly on fins but the pumpkinseed also has a couple attached to the body. I've been googling a lot and can't quite figure out what these are. They don't appear to be anchor worms because I don't see a Y shaped body, but maybe that's more microscopic. I can't tell if they're skin flukes either. I want to get these identified quickly so I can treat it with the appropriate medication. I appreciate the help, and would also appreciate recommendations for medication. I don't have any other fish, snails, or shrimp. Just a bunch of Anacharis and a few Anubia plants. Please see attached photos for reference.

bluegill_first_arrived.jpg

Bluegill.jpg

Pumpkinseed.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Look a bit thin for body flukes. Doesn’t look like anchor worm either. Can treat with prazipro and remove for now in the meantime.

hywaydave

Feeder Fish
Sep 24, 2021
I'm treating them with a salt bath in the aquarium now. I did a 10% water change last night and added 18 Tbsp of aquarium salt (1 Tbsp per 3 gallons).

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
prazipro hasn't helped at all.
Maybe juvenile leeches. Seen tiny ones but usually dark. Then manually pull off and hope more don’t show up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store