Need help with my Oscar

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
I currently moved my peacocks out of my 125 and into the 75. I had an empty 125 and decided to go look for an albino Oscar. I bought about a 6 in or bigger albino o, and a about 4 inch jack Dempsey. My O who is extremely larger than the jd seemed to be getting bullied by the jd. my buddy is currently housing the jd with his o for me. His Oscar is about the same size as my jd and they seem to be getting along fine.... is my Oscar just that passive? Should I go with more passive tank mates? Or should I let my Oscar establish himself then try bring the jd back into the tank ? If more passive tank mates, what are some suggestions?

Bryceporter510

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2017
I currently moved my peacocks out of my 125 and into the 75. I had an empty 125 and decided to go look for an albino Oscar. I bought about a 6 in or bigger albino o, and a about 4 inch jack Dempsey. My O who is extremely larger than the jd seemed to be getting bullied by the jd. my buddy is currently housing the jd with his o for me. His Oscar is about the same size as my jd and they seem to be getting along fine.... is my Oscar just that passive? Should I go with more passive tank mates? Or should I let my Oscar establish himself then try bring the jd back into the tank ? If more passive tank mates, what are some suggestions?

I figured this question will be asked so it’s a 6 foot 125. With sand and 4 large lava rocks.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I would just keep the oscar, and return the dempsey. You can't force them to live together, and who knows how beat up the oscar might get.

You can add a school of silver dollars, like 8 of them if you want some dithers.

Reactions: tlindsey

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I agree, Silver Dollars would be a nice addition. A group of Firemouths would probably work as well. They grow big enough as to avoid being lunch, but not too big to be a threat to the Oscar. I keep five FM' s in my 120. They add movement and color.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
JDs are Central Americans highly aggressive comparatively. I would try some SA cichlids, but remember each and every cichlid has it own personality and we have to cater to that.
In my case my O hates other Oscar's, but for 2 or 3 months now had tolerated both a Green Terror and a Red Terror. She was eight plus inches when I added them, and they were in the 3 to 4 inch range.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store