new 10 gallon hexagon tank

native

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
minnesota
Hey guys its been awhile, but i just bought a new 10 gallon that will fit perfectly in my room. So question is how should i stock it? I want to have live plants in the gravel, maybe have moss up one side of the tank. For fish i was thinking of 1 Male betta along with a few ottos, and maybe a few shrimp. If anyone has any suggestions for a different stocklist or some easy plants that would be great!

native

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
minnesota
bump, would love some ideas before I go all in

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
stock sounds fine to me. easy plants are java moss/ferns or anubias in my book.

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Be certain it's well-aerated, hex tanks don't have much surface area.
Also, be certain that you let the tank sit for at least a few months before adding otos, they need a healthy supply of algae and bio-film to survive.

shrimpaholich

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Sturbridge, MA, USA
the male betta will pick at the shrimp and stress them out. ottos get to 2" and need to be kept in groups of 6 atleast, you would need over filtration. which will prolong the needed time for proper algae growth. id go with just some shrimp and maybe 4 male guppies. but this is just my opinion based on the research ive done. try it out though, if it works, share :) id love to be proven wrong.

i love to learn more, more, more

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Do NOT keep two gouramis in that small of a tank unless you want to end up with one gourami.
Wouldn't recommend threadfin rainbows for such a tall tank, they need a bit more back-and-forth space.
Microrasboras could work.

native

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2010
minnesota
got the tank set up with a under gravel, If I need more mechanical I'll get a ltitle HOB. so a beta male, school of otttos, shrimp colony, and maybe a snail will be fine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store