New 300 Gallon tank....looking for Ideas

thomsm10

Feeder Fish
Jun 30, 2023
Hello all! I am new to the forums and looking for insights and ideas.

Little background: I have had aquariums my whole life, all around the 55 - 100 gallon sizes. Had big catfish before, but mostly deal in the cichlid arena. Currently I only have one 100-gallon tank with haps and peacocks. They are doing great.

Today I got an amazing deal I could not pass up. I got a 300-gallon tank (96x27x25) with stand, sump, lights, pumps etc. for a ridiculous price as the guy was getting rid of everything due to divorce. Over the next few months, I will be cleaning it out, I am going to guild a new stand (I am a hobby carpenter) setup the sump system etc.... taking my time with it all and planning it out really well.

My biggest question is....what should I stock it with??? I have never had a tank this big so my options are wide open.

I don't want to breed, or just have like two fish for the whole tank, I like it kind of busy.

I love some of the videos of people with peacock basses and catfish, I personally do not like arowanas (sorry to anyone who does!) I am more of a traditional fish shape guy haha. I thought about only male dovii cichlids but not sure if I could keep several of them together without them killing each other??

Any thoughts on these or other ideas?

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
Payara?

One payara
Although you might need a larger tank after the payara grows.

40x slate rock

2x jumbo driftwood

20x Echinodorus palifolius

20x Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Other fish and cichlids:

thomsm10

Feeder Fish
Jun 30, 2023
Payara?

One payara
Although you might need a larger tank after the payara grows.

40x slate rock

2x jumbo driftwood

20x Echinodorus palifolius

20x Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Other fish and cichlids:
That fish looks badass. But yea it gets really big…I don’t know if ill ever upgrade bigger than my 300 gallon 😂

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store