New Dovii Owner. Looking for tips!!!

ChristopherDovii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
I just got a dovii about 4-5 inches. It's in a 75 gallon tank right now with an aquaclear 110. I had it for about a week. Kind of shy still and eats about 5-6 pellets per feeding and loves krill. I feed it 2-3 times daily. I plan on doing my first water change by the end of this week and then I'll do one maybe 2 per week. I'm thinking maybe 50% water changes. Since this is my first time owning a dovii, I just wanted any tips you all might have and also any help if you could identify the sex of my dovii. I think it's a male but here's a pic:

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Tip-plan to get a much larger tank soon. Dovii get big fast. I would consider over 200g and bigger is always better. 50% water changes sounds good. You probably don't need to feed that much. I feed my cichlids once a day. Cichlids don't need to eat that much and can go weeks without food. The more you feed, the more waste is created. The more waste is created, the more water changes and filtration you'll need.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Looks male.

How much you feed = how much water change.

ChristopherDovii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Respectfully i disagree. And nearly certain it's female. Even subdominant males getting the snot beat out of them display many freckles on cheak and throat by 5". I'll send you nice baby male no charge (except shipping) when they ready in couple weeks. If you like this blood line

View attachment 1253230

View attachment 1253231
That would be nice. Looks like a great line too. Just shoot me a message when you get them

tjwalley83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
mine is only 2.5" but looks exactly like yours from the 2nd set of pics. i vented it last week and although it is very faint, it did look like a spike (male)
i cant say for sure, but there is def. a chance you have a male. if you can vent and take some pics, post those and you should get a clear answer, or wait it out and see if it starts morphing the blue/green hues. the waiting game is a killer though lol!

edit: i have also read that by 5" size it should be pretty clear judging from appearance alone, like mr cichlid said a few comments above. this is my first dovii, and my vent was VERY faint, so dont take my guess to the bank lol just sharing my experience thus far is all

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristopherDovii

ChristopherDovii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
mine is only 2.5" but looks exactly like yours from the 2nd set of pics. i vented it last week and although it is very faint, it did look like a spike (male)
i cant say for sure, but there is def. a chance you have a male. if you can vent and take some pics, post those and you should get a clear answer, or wait it out and see if it starts morphing the blue/green hues. the waiting game is a killer though lol!

edit: i have also read that by 5" size it should be pretty clear judging from appearance alone, like mr cichlid said a few comments above. this is my first dovii, and my vent was VERY faint, so dont take my guess to the bank lol just sharing my experience thus far is all
I'm going to play to waiting game but it's definitely always on my mind haha I need to have a male. I love the aggression, the size, and the colors of the male. I will send more photos as he grows

ChristopherDovii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Also, I've been giving him hikari cichlid pellets and krill, both help with color and I'm beginning to notice s faint blue in the fins as well.

One last question too, his lip seems to have a scratch or something as I noticed those white spots. Is that something I should be concerned about?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store