New Dovii Owner. Looking for tips!!!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Alot of the females are much prettier than alot of the ugly lumpy males.
A lone female would be a great wet pet setup, quite a few female cichlids are prettier, convicts, red terror, rtm, ect ect. Same with dovii alot of the time, get a female with good blues and they are stunning.
A monster male to help put you off trying one in anything less than a 300g

Screenshot_2017-02-15-21-13-13.png

Reactions: ChristopherDovii

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
A lone female would be a great wet pet setup, quite a few female cichlids are prettier, convicts, red terror, rtm, ect ect. Same with dovii alot of the time, get a female with good blues and they are stunning.

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I have realized it doesn't matter if you have a 75gal tank or a swimming pool, it doesn't matter if breeding pair has grown up together or is properly introduced, it doesn't matter if male seems docile, it doesn't matter...one day the male will snap. Maybe the female over flexed or didn't spawn fast enough or male woke on wrong side of tank. To successful keep a dovii pair inshaAllaah without revolving your life around it, let a decent size male pick between few little females and arrange the aquarium in such a way the female can out maneuver the male.

20170322_231553.jpg

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Dovii are typically Ambush predators in the wild and spend much of their time waiting in isolation two strike their prey by surprise. With proper water conditions and nutrients in food I believe and Aquarium with 18 square feet of surface area or more can adequately house a dovii pair up to 24 inch. On the other hand the umbee Is An Open Water Predator spending most of its time in the wild covering large distances searching for its next meal and since I do not have an aquarium large enough to accommodate their natural behaviors I frequently keep the umbees in a community tank that they control. This allows them to constantly be swimming chasing the other fish. Despite the fact the dovii and umbee have similar dispositions this trick has never worked for me with dovii because ultimately they will eat everybody. the reason I mention this is because frequently people buy umbees believing they need less water than the dovii because they don't potentially reach the same size. I encourage future umbee owners to further research their requirements

IMG_20151126_131242424.jpg

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj

View attachment 1253519
The females have no color but I have seen some color up like a male

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store