New fish we just picked up

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Good to see dave, those jau sure are Chunky. Mines the same. I’ve found joe in larger tank with mixed larger doradies. He leaves them alone. No bite makes it split fins yet. He’s only 10” though and the Bacu & megs are all 12-16”

How’s the fila getting along?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... I’ve found joe in larger tank with mixed larger doradies. He leaves them alone. No bite makes it split fins yet. He’s only 10” though and the Bacu & megs are all 12-16”
When my male jau was 2.5' and I was testing it in the other 4500 gal with many other fish, it broke a pectoral spine of a 3' Oxydoras niger near the base. Off it has gone into its usual 4500 gal to continue battling it out with the female jau.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not exactly monsters but they certainly have monster appetites.

IMG_20190920_155118.jpgIMG_20190920_154917.jpgIMG_20190920_154855.jpgIMG_20190920_154935.jpg

I bought these from a local shop.
He had had them in for about 3 months and in that time I had seen them spawn twice but each time the other tetras for sale are the eggs, which are laid in a cube of jelly.
He had them for sale as Tatia Aulopygia but from the colouring I do question that.
To me they look more like Tatia Jaracatia, and the size seem about right too.

great cats that will always venture out in full tank lights for food, but disappear again as soon as it's tidied up!

let's see if I can get to see them breed.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Great looking Tatia cats.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Short update.
over the Christmas holidays I took the opportunity to move the piriaba, bagarius yarrelli and leiarius marmoratus into a slightly larger tank. Both the bagarius and piriaba are now 16" with the leiarius slightly smaller. Since moving in however the piriaba has not really settled. Initially it was over sorting who ruled the new roost but now she just spooks very easily so has a few fin tears which are taking a while to heal.
In making this move I also tried to move the Jau (9") into a new larger tank with many hiding places, along with the bolt (14" ) and the albino mystus (8").
Thought all was going well until the 2 week mark. The Jau had established he was boss over the bolt, however the bolt and mystus have grown up together from being babies and the mystus was not having the Jau boss his mate. Woke up the other morning to find the two scrapping and the larger Jau didn't stand a chance. That smaller mystus sure knows how to fight and the Jau came out of the tank with torn fins , half a tail, battered whiskers and plenty of bite marks. The mystus has one split fin. Looks like I have the softest Jau known to man or the hardest mystus docmac. Lesson learnt - but I just didn't want the jau growing up alone and not integrating with other fish (although that's how my wykii lived and now in the pond is a model cat - generally). Might just have to try different fish as tank mates in future.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Great thread! I enjoyed the read.

Any updates on the goonch? Based on the early pic, it appears to be a Bagarius sp. "Indochina" and not yarelli. I'm curious to see some more pics if you're able to confirm my hypothesis :)

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
These three photos are more recent but still a few months old. I initially listed as bagarius bagarius which it did not look like. Over time it's colour seems to vary from a light grey to a more orange and back again however seems to be settling out more grey.
then in another post thought he was Yarrelli, now not sure.
unfortunately getting a photo in his new tank with the skittish piraiba won't be easy as his new hideout has him well hidden too, but will try, as interested to capture his progress and figure his type.
Oval eyes? Points to indochina ( are they oval or round with oval aperture?)
Really tight to body top "whiskers" point more to Yarrelli
and hugely upturned pectoral fins (getting more pronounced as he grows) points to bagarius bagarius.

IMG_20190918_140215.jpgIMG_1660.JPGIMG_1664.JPG

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
These three photos are more recent but still a few months old. I initially listed as bagarius bagarius which it did not look like. Over time it's colour seems to vary from a light grey to a more orange and back again however seems to be settling out more grey.
then in another post thought he was Yarrelli, now not sure.
unfortunately getting a photo in his new tank with the skittish piraiba won't be easy as his new hideout has him well hidden too, but will try, as interested to capture his progress and figure his type.
Oval eyes? Points to indochina ( are they oval or round with oval aperture?)
Really tight to body top "whiskers" point more to Yarrelli
and hugely upturned pectoral fins (getting more pronounced as he grows) points to bagarius bagarius.

View attachment 1401891View attachment 1401892View attachment 1401893
I just lost a 98% finished reply ???

Your fish is Indochina. The oval eyes have it. This is in reference to the shape of the eyes themselves, as opposed to the shape of the pupil. Bagarius all have that oddly shaped pupil with the flap to help protect from bright sun.

The eyes are always the first thing that I look for when diagnosing a species of Bagarius. When using the eyes, we can determine whether or not the fish belongs to what I think of as the bagarius clade or the rutilus clade. If the fish has the oval eyes, we need only consider species from the rutilus clade.

Once we have determined to which of these clades the fish in question belongs, we must determine which of the three species in the rutilus clade we're looking at.

Due to the size of your fish, we can immediately discard the dwarf species. At this point, we must determine rutilus from Indochina. The key traits I look for at this point are markings, color and the shape of the head. One can take a shortcut and generally get it correct in relation to these two species simply by determining whether or not the fish has a whole bunch of spots like yours does. This will typically give a correct result, though not always, as stressed Indochina can lose their spots. The same is true of the orange fins in rutilus.

The morphological characteristic I find most useful between these two species is the shape of the head and the position of the mouth. Indochina has a nearly terminal mouth (at the leading edge of the head) with the lower jaw only slightly behind the tip of the snout; whereas rutilus has a distinctly inferior positioned mouth (on the bottom of the head) with a fairly noticeable gap between the tip of the snout and the position of the mouth.

The general build of the head is also quite different between these two species. Indochina has a fairly robust bone structure, while rutilus is quite gracile. The jaws and the tip of the snout on Indochina tends to be rounded off and bulky looking, while the jaws and the tip of the snout on rutilus are fairly sharp, the the lower jaw when closed fitting in behind a large lip on the upper jaw, giving the effect of appearing hidden.

I suppose I should probably address all of this in my sticky. ?

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hi Dave.

Glad to see the fish are doing well. My fila is keeping the same sort of growth as yours. Around 16-18” now.

As for the jau. I had to rehome mine due to everything going my end, I found mine to be quite simply evil! So consider yourself lucky! From what I’ve seen. The young don’t mix well, but seem to mellow out a little as they get larger. (2ft plus) thats only from what I’ve seen.

I’ll be doing an update shortly, with what remaining stock I have my end. Speak soon

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Hi Dave.

Glad to see the fish are doing well. My fila is keeping the same sort of growth as yours. Around 16-18” now.

As for the jau. I had to rehome mine due to everything going my end, I found mine to be quite simply evil! So consider yourself lucky! From what I’ve seen. The young don’t mix well, but seem to mellow out a little as they get larger. (2ft plus) thats only from what I’ve seen.

I’ll be doing an update shortly, with what remaining stock I have my end. Speak soon
Ditto. One of the jau I had bit a channel catfish the same length as him in half aroun 13". Once larger mellowed out plus kept him really well fed

• Wow
Reactions: Chicxulub and Rpul
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store