New fish :)

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey all,

So recently purchased 2 new fish and they just came in today. The first is a 4-5 inch lapradei bichir (looks wild caught nigerian but correct me if I’m wrong) and the second is a 2-3 inch fire eel. The bichir is currently in a 5 gallon quarantine tank and the fire eel into my 10 gallon planted tank (only houses a few mystery and nerite snails atm)

I already have a 15 inch wild caught nigerian lap in my main tank and wanted to get another one so should be able to take care of this one fine. My question is regarding the new baby fire eel. First time keeping this species so any advice when it comes to food and care would be appreciated. I’m going to try to ween it on hikari sinking pellets but will try feeding a variety of foods including tilapia, shrimp, blood worms, etc.

Cheers,
Ray :)

7333C0CA-E972-41C8-BDFC-AD893761ADCD.jpeg

22FC4D3A-887E-4821-9CD5-F08E5592B6A7.jpeg

ED21A2A3-012E-46DC-8126-73A572C064E9.jpeg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Some more pics. Eel looks to be settling nicely. Super active! When should I try feeding? My biggest worry is the size of the eel as it is very small and perhaps fragile.

A735D1BF-17CE-49FE-874A-BD91C565AE64.jpeg

5BAED7EC-0D07-4C8B-A0AC-EB2F9804E2D8.jpeg

A9F4C457-5BA9-4F0C-B1EF-F8B44C9CCA89.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Fire eel looks quite skinny (not uncommon for small imports); I recommend bloodworms as those are what small mastacembelids seem to take best, and they'll fatten up the fish fairly quickly.
Yeah def looks skinny. I’ll get some frozen blood worms tom and see if it takes them. Tried breaking a massivores pellet and offering with no luck unfortunately:(

Reactions: Fallen_Leaves16

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Update. Went and got some frozen blood worms for the fire eel and added them in with no luck. I know it’s been only a day so prob still settling in but by what day should I be worried if it’s not eating?

0EEECA63-81D3-4145-A4D4-372C47C1ADB8.jpeg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I had a Fire Eel many years ago, which I received at a size only slightly larger than yours is now. It was thin as well, and required several days of coaxing with various foods to begin eating. The first food it accepted was frozen adult Artemia, thawed in a glass of water and added a few at a time with a dropper. After a few days it was an enthusiastic eater and accepted frozen bloodworms, Mysis and other small foods. It remained very fond of adult Artemia and was still eating them greedily several years later when it was over 18 inches in length. As soon as it grew large enough to accept earthworms, they became and remained an important part of its diet.

I was extremely worried about getting it to feed at first. Fish this young and small can't go without food as long as adults easily can, and its thin appearance suggests that it may have been going hungry for some time already. I would not delay in trying anything and everything possible. Raising the temperature to 80F and keeping the lights dimmed might be useful tactics.

Many small fish can be spurred on to begin eating if they observe their tankmates doing so. Trying that with my little guy seemed to be totally counterproductive. Other fish seemed only to intimidate him.

A few sources indicated that this species occasionally accepts plant matter or plant debris. Mine never paid any attention to vegetable foods at any point during the several years I owned it.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I had a Fire Eel many years ago, which I received at a size only slightly larger than yours is now. It was thin as well, and required several days of coaxing with various foods to begin eating. The first food it accepted was frozen adult Artemia, thawed in a glass of water and added a few at a time with a dropper. After a few days it was an enthusiastic eater and accepted frozen bloodworms, Mysis and other small foods. It remained very fond of adult Artemia and was still eating them greedily several years later when it was over 18 inches in length. As soon as it grew large enough to accept earthworms, they became and remained an important part of its diet.

I was extremely worried about getting it to feed at first. Fish this young and small can't go without food as long as adults easily can, and its thin appearance suggests that it may have been going hungry for some time already. I would not delay in trying anything and everything possible. Raising the temperature to 80F and keeping the lights dimmed might be useful tactics.

Many small fish can be spurred on to begin eating if they observe their tankmates doing so. Trying that with my little guy seemed to be totally counterproductive. Other fish seemed only to intimidate him.

A few sources indicated that this species occasionally accepts plant matter or plant debris. Mine never paid any attention to vegetable foods at any point during the several years I owned it.
Hey John appreciate the information. I'll try some alternatives and some frozen blood worms tom as well. Keep y'all updated. Really hoping this one can pull through. Super cool fish

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Forgot to mention: I don't know if they are still regularly available, or ever were in your area, but if you could get hold of some live black worms or live tubifex that might be an irresistible temptation.:)

And, yes, they are exceptionally interesting fish once they settle in and get comfortable. :)

Last edited:

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Update:
Fire eel is still alive and active but have not seen it eat at all. Tried frozen blood worms and brine shrimp with no luck thus far. It seems interested in the food and will smell it but not eat. I have seen it “snap” at some things in the aquarium and so I’m assuming since my tank has been established for the last few months, it might have scuds and seed shrimp which the eel is prob eating to stay alive. Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue? Should I deworm the fish and see if that helps? All suggestions are appreciated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store