New flowerhorn!!

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Hope you enjoy your beautiful new friend!

And for those who don't have easy direct access to such FH's like we have here in Thailand, at least with the ever increasing amount of nicer fish on the market (if even less long-lived nowadays), you can hopefully expect higher quality FH's to be more available for your local markets (esp. if local breeders in your countries are able to take some of these fish and successfully breed them, thereby negating the expensive int'l shipping costs/procedures).

Btw the video isn't edited, but the fish is clearly kept under nan (pinkish-red) lighting, which ~99% of tanks here use, hence the enhanced coloration of both fish. When it arrives at your house, if you have regular white lighting don't be surprised to see it not so colorful, esp. when combined with stress of long travel. But after it settles in, and regardless of what lighting you use, it will still be a beautiful specimen if you take good care of it (good food and lots of water changes).

"Chok dee" and safe journey lil' guy!
NaN lighting eh? Did a tiny bit of research and it’s the lighting used to tan Asian arowanas? Is it bad for your fish? I’d like to try it. My FH would be seriously crazy Intense fire red under that lighting! Cause it’s already the most intense deep red FH that I ever had at such a small size. Does it really tan your fish? Bring out the reds permanently? Or just faking? I’m learning new things!

Reactions: tpaquarist17

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
islandguy11 islandguy11 ECW ECW I'd be interested in using those lights as well in the future. Also, do any of you have suggestions on good FH specific foods?

Reactions: ECW

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
islandguy11 islandguy11 ECW ECW I'd be interested in using those lights as well in the future. Also, do any of you have suggestions on good FH specific foods?
Forget the FH specific foods. NLS diet all the way. My experience is genetics makes all the difference. NLS will keep your FH healthy, happy, and vibrant. If you want to pump you definitely can use PELLETS only. For faster but maybe less healthy choices you can use crickets, mealworms, frozen thawed shrimp, Frozen fish filets, etc (no live fish)! But I don’t because FH’s are very susceptible to diet problems. NLS pellets all the way. Doesn’t necessarily have to be NLS but I find FH specific food to be overpriced and undeliver on promises of grandeur. Lol. A good basic cichlid pellet, 75 gallon plus tank, and regular water changes will bring out everything in your fish. Mirror training helps too. ;)

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
ECW ECW thats great then because I already have both NLS and Northfin Cichlid pellets I give to all my other cichlids. I wasn’t aware of dietary issues and had planned on giving frozen thawed tilapia and shrimp as treats but I guess now I won’t be doing that! Also, how often would you put a mirror in the tank for them?

Reactions: ECW and islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
NaN lighting eh? Did a tiny bit of research and it’s the lighting used to tan Asian arowanas? Is it bad for your fish? I’d like to try it. My FH would be seriously crazy Intense fire red under that lighting! Cause it’s already the most intense deep red FH that I ever had at such a small size. Does it really tan your fish? Bring out the reds permanently? Or just faking? I’m learning new things!
No, nan lights aren't for tanning (they don't emit uva/uvb). While quite popular in Thailand and some other Asian countries, not so much in other places -- many consider them just as kind of cosmetic make-up (so yeah, fake as you say) -- soon as you turn off the light or use a regular light your fish's normal color will show (then it's kind of like seeing a lady w/o make-up :) ).

Last edited:

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
ECW ECW thats great then because I already have both NLS and Northfin Cichlid pellets I give to all my other cichlids. I wasn’t aware of dietary issues and had planned on giving frozen thawed tilapia and shrimp as treats but I guess now I won’t be doing that! Also, how often would you put a mirror in the tank for them?
Yep, just about any good cichlid pellet will you do your fish fine, really no need for those other things except perhaps as an occasional treat. If you want to increase red color I would recommend Hikari BloodRed Parrot+ though not every day, maybe 2 or 3 times a week -- both NLS and Northfin would be way better as a staple pellet.

I've never really used mirrors, but those who do would usually put them in for about 15, max 30 min. maybe once a day or every 2 days -- too much could overly stress your fish, so best in moderation.

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
islandguy11 islandguy11 okay great, thanks!! What about the yellow/oranges in the fish? Any way to make them more pronounced or will occasional feedings of the Hikari blood red parrot bring those colors out as well?

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
islandguy11 islandguy11 okay great, thanks!! What about the yellow/oranges in the fish? Any way to make them more pronounced or will occasional feedings of the Hikari blood red parrot bring those colors out as well?
Yeah sorry I wasn't even thinking that your fish is a gold base duh -- so maybe the Hikari BRP+ only once in a while, you wouldn't want too much red (possibly, I don't know) taking over more of that lovely yellow/orange territory. For these latter colors (and even the red too) NLS and Northfin will do your fish great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store