New flowerhorn!!

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Ruturaj Ruturaj That’s crazy, I’m only about 30 minutes from Raleigh. But he wasn’t the issue, he delivered the fish to Julie. Julie Tran shipped the fish to me but there were severe weather conditions at the time so flights were delayed. I still think I should get a partial refund on shipping since it took so long but if you are ordering I would consider waiting until maybe the spring when conditions aren’t so harsh. Remember though, shipping rates increase the first of every new year
She advertises $55 USD to for 5-6 inch bags. And import fee of $20. Try to get a refund for sure.

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Backfromthedead Backfromthedead thanks! I’m excited to see how much more color and personality he will show, he’s still pretty skittish but he’s coming around slowly but surely

Reactions: Backfromthedead

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Just an update! More personable each and everyday! Unintentionally just a couple days ago I was in a store that had this bichir in a tank with a breeding pair of geos. He had gotten pretty beat up and they claimed they had “nowhere else to put him”. So I brought him/her home. I had the two of them split up by an egg crate for a day, I even threw a cave in the tank for the bichir to hide. I took the chance of removing the egg crate today. Turns out the Flowerhorn does not care for him at all and the bichir decided he’s completely against hiding in a cave and wants to see what I’m doing at all times. If good behavior persists these two will be together for life and moved into their big tank in just a few weeks.EDECD571-01ED-46DB-A850-5E17D4E060F7.jpeg9B63931D-D332-4A30-96CE-5BB7F137AA4C.jpeg42CC56A6-A470-4E25-8F32-73DCAF05CE12.jpeg

Reactions: Krismo962

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Just an update! More personable each and everyday! Unintentionally just a couple days ago I was in a store that had this bichir in a tank with a breeding pair of geos. He had gotten pretty beat up and they claimed they had “nowhere else to put him”. So I brought him/her home. I had the two of them split up by an egg crate for a day, I even threw a cave in the tank for the bichir to hide. I took the chance of removing the egg crate today. Turns out the Flowerhorn does not care for him at all and the bichir decided he’s completely against hiding in a cave and wants to see what I’m doing at all times. If good behavior persists these two will be together for life and moved into their big tank in just a few weeks.View attachment 1397649View attachment 1397650View attachment 1397651
I like it!

Reactions: tpaquarist17

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Always nice when you can work a compatible tankmate into the picture. I have bn plecos in every tank Im running and they swoop out and posture aggressively for food harder than their aggro cichlid tankmates.
I would suggest adding something the bichir can get under in case of emergency though.

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Aquatic Aggression Aquatic Aggression I had mentioned I added a cave when I introduced the bichir, he doesn’t really care for it but it’s still there for him if he needs it! Once I introduce them both to the new tank I want to quarantine a couple super red bn and add them in once they’re a decent size just to help out with tank maintenance. Other than that these two are going to be the only real inhabitants

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Your fish is looking much better now. Hope he gains back his kok soon.

King of diy did the same thing, had bichir with his FH frank.

How big is your big tank?

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Ruturaj Ruturaj give it about a month or so and I think he will have completely regained his kok. As far as tank size they’re in my quarantine setup for right now until I move houses in a few weeks. I already have a 67g long(48x18x18) ready to set up for them. This specific bichir is a delhezi and is one of the smallest polyptyrus species, they recommend a minimum tank size of 55 gallons and this is a much higher footprint

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store