New Oscar Keeper

bellossomraptor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2019
I bought a 60 gallon tank because it was mega cheap (price matched from an online shop that had it on sale $200 off, whoop whoop) and I'm now planning what to put in it. I think I've decided that I would really like an Oscar. I've been doing my research and so far have learned that 60 gallons is pretty small for one Oscar once they get 10"+. I would love to have two because I just believe life is more fun with a buddy but my research has led me to believe I'll need at least a 100 gallon tank for two, probably 125 to be realistic. So, my question are thus:

Is 60 gallons an appropriate size to grow an Oscar in for a year? What about two while they are under 10"? I am planning to upgrade the tank after a year so I can get use out of the one I bought. I would just love to have two because one fish in a tank seems a lonely existence, even if we interact with him, but common sense tells me that if I let one get big before getting a second baby, the baby will be eaten. Of course inevitably I will just have to monitor how the fish is doing and adjust accordingly but if I can plan ahead I'd like to.

Would growing one Oscar in a 60 gallon for a year stunt his growth at all?

If I keep a pleco and an oscar together and let them grow together, will the oscar outgrow the pleco too fast and eat him?

Any other general advice for starting an Oscar in a 60 gallon tank?

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Welcome to the site! :welcome:

What are the dimensions of the 60? The footprint is the important part of any tank, 4 feet being the optimal minimum. I would not personally put two oscars, even small ones in anything smaller than a 125, 6' tank. Growing out a single oscar in a 60 could work but they grow fast.

Reactions: Jexnell

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Welcome to MFK!!! IMO if you want 2 and a Pleco you need to go bigger than a 125. They will produce a lot of waste!!! I keep my Oscar Big Boy in a 125 and he makes that look small!!! LOL!!!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
My Oscar Toni lasted about eight months in a 55gal before I moved her up to a 125.

The day I got her.1368095 Eight months later, the day she went into the 1251368096 She ate good and got water changes every three days so I got an inch a month growth.

As far as a pleco goes I would get a bigger one around 6in mark or so. So when the Oscar outgrows it they won't see it as a snack.

Reactions: Poseidon2.0

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I am keeping an Oscar in a 55 and he is 11" now. He will soon be upgraded, as it is very small for him.

I change his water every 3 days max, plus I have serious filtration and circulation in this tank to keep him healthy in such little water. Also he can see the fish in adjacent aquariums so he doesn't get too bored.

I would say a 60 is good for one Oscar if you really put in the effort to keep him clean and play with him. Mine probably gets fed and talked to 5 times a day, because he is a beloved pet. When he was 4"-8" I had one Pleco in with him, but as they grew they fought all the time. I wouldn't put Plecos with Oscars unless you have a LOT of water and a LOT of filtration.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
This was my guy in his 120 gallon, which had a 5' x 18" foot print, 25 inch height. Is ideal for him by himself.

bellossomraptor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2019
My Oscar Toni lasted about eight months in a 55gal before I moved her up to a 125.

The day I got her.View attachment 1368095 Eight months later, the day she went into the 125View attachment 1368096 She ate good and got water changes every three days so I got an inch a month growth.

As far as a pleco goes I would get a bigger one around 6in mark or so. So when the Oscar outgrows it they won't see it as a snack.
Oh she's beautiful! Looks very comfortable in the large tank.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am not sure of the tank footprint but I do know the inside width is 12" which I've read is too small for an adult Oscar. I will keep to just one in the 60 gallon if I get one at all. I may just hold off on Oscars until I can get a larger tank.

Has anyone had problems keeping one totally by themselves? With daily human interaction of course, he'd be kept in the living room with all of us, but no other fish they can see? Do they get lonely or seem depressed at all? I know some animals are totally happy alone but I just feel bad isolating one.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
I think an O is perfect for the living room. They love attention and also do fine by themselves. They can get moody but will always come around if living in good conditions.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Oh she's beautiful! Looks very comfortable in the large tank.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am not sure of the tank footprint but I do know the inside width is 12" which I've read is too small for an adult Oscar. I will keep to just one in the 60 gallon if I get one at all. I may just hold off on Oscars until I can get a larger tank.

Has anyone had problems keeping one totally by themselves? With daily human interaction of course, he'd be kept in the living room with all of us, but no other fish they can see? Do they get lonely or seem depressed at all? I know some animals are totally happy alone but I just feel bad isolating one.
You are getting good info on tank sizes. 60gal. would be considered a grow out tank. Oscars are wet pets and like interaction. Some people keep them alone which I think is fine but I myself want mine to have fish buddies, rocks and plants. More interesting for me and them.

bellossomraptor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2019
You are getting good info on tank sizes. 60gal. would be considered a grow out tank. Oscars are wet pets and like interaction. Some people keep them alone which I think is fine but I myself want mine to have fish buddies, rocks and plants. More interesting for me and them.
I would agree with you, it just feels better to have animals with buddies. I do know my MIL at one time had an Oscar she kept by himself and by her account he was fine. I would really like to have live plants in the aquarium but once again my reading deters me lol says Oscars are known for digging plants up. The dog-like reputation is what draws me to them though. All of this information is very very helpful in making my decision, I don't know anyone in the fish hobby so I'm just researching on my own. With all the advice given, I think I will keep the 60 gallon nice and simple and just be ready to upgrade when the Oscar outgrows it. It should suit him for a few months at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store