New Oscar Keeper

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
The 60 would be a fine grow out tank. It will get you 6 to 8 months to get and set up a bigger tank. You can use the filters you are going to use on the big tank on the 60 to get them nice and seasoned before the switch.
My 125 has 2 Aquaclear 110's and 2 FX4's, all easily switchable between tanks.

bellossomraptor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2019
The 60 would be a fine grow out tank. It will get you 6 to 8 months to get and set up a bigger tank. You can use the filters you are going to use on the big tank on the 60 to get them nice and seasoned before the switch.
My 125 has 2 Aquaclear 110's and 2 FX4's, all easily switchable between tanks.
Thank you for the filter recommendations. Do you need all four for just the one Oscar?

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I would agree with you, it just feels better to have animals with buddies. I do know my MIL at one time had an Oscar she kept by himself and by her account he was fine. I would really like to have live plants in the aquarium but once again my reading deters me lol says Oscars are known for digging plants up. The dog-like reputation is what draws me to them though. All of this information is very very helpful in making my decision, I don't know anyone in the fish hobby so I'm just researching on my own. With all the advice given, I think I will keep the 60 gallon nice and simple and just be ready to upgrade when the Oscar outgrows it. It should suit him for a few months at least.
Oscars, plecos, silver dollars... they all mess with the plants. I have live plants because frankly I don't care for fake plants.
Yes oscars do funny things like try to move rocks and rip up plants. Usually when they are agitated. Geos dig around the plants and they end up floating. But I just keep replanting them.
I have 4 oscars and when I show them the Hikari pellets and shake the bag they go crazy. All kinds of water splashing out of the tank. Hysterical. They do love to eat. At night they all come up to see me (or my wife) before bed.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thank you for the filter recommendations. Do you need all four for just the one Oscar?
Actually I only had a single AC and FX4, that will get you about 7 turns an hour. I just shut down my 2nd 125 so moved the filtration to the one tank now.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Oscars, plecos, silver dollars... they all mess with the plants. I have live plants because frankly I don't care for fake plants.
Yes oscars do funny things like try to move rocks and rip up plants. Usually when they are agitated. Geos dig around the plants and they end up floating. But I just keep replanting them.
I have 4 oscars and when I show them the Hikari pellets and shake the bag they go crazy. All kinds of water splashing out of the tank. Hysterical. They do love to eat. At night they all come up to see me (or my wife) before bed.
If you get multiple just get ready to get a large enough tank. Oscars will grow on you and they are so common very hard to have someone take them off your hands.

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
I started I to the hobby 15 years ago with an Oscar in a 90 in the living room. Had to rehouse due to a move and after a year with discus that bored me to death I did the exact same thing (will post a pic). If he’s in a high traffic area you’ll be his tankmate essentially as the entire room will be considered his territory. Mine is always in my face, except for when she’s sulking which happens when I mess with her decor. While many say a 55 or 60 4 foot tank is enough I suggest your minimum starting point to house long term is the 48” by 18” footprint (75,90,110 gallons). That’s what I have done BUT I can’t stop looking at craigslist for a tank with another foot or two in length and would suggest you plan on a 125 which would be optimal and give you opportunities for tankmates. In my 90 I house her alone essentially (she has a few female cons to harrass if she gets bored that add noth8ng to the bioload).

Bottom line: as long as you know you can upgrade 100% in 8-10 months growout a single Oscar in that 60. They are every bit the wet dog you’ve read about.

Reactions: Jexnell and LBDave

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
She definitely utilizes all the space in the 90. Her bubble wand is her obsession along with her owner. ;-) highly recommended speciesif your looking for a wet pet.

FCAD5BF8-97B8-4C2F-BF87-570FEC11B3C6.jpeg

F66C1B86-E949-4999-80C9-8011677D0112.jpeg

DonnyB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
For a 125 I can’t recommend the Eheim ‘big boy’ 2262 canister enough. It’s perfect and provides great flow but is a monster. It would be too much for the 60.... I run 3 Eheim 2217’s on my 90. 2 would be enough or 1 with an ac110 or similar. I just took down my ac110 as 4 filters was overkill even for me. Now my liv8ng room is almost silent with only air pumps making an audible sound

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store