new to arowana keeping

bigarofan91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2016
Hi all I'm new to the forum and arowana keeping. I'm jut looking for some advice and tips to be honest. My silver arowana is currently in a hospital tank till he ( I call him he anyway haha.) gets moved to his own tank which will be 6ft by 2.5ft by 2.5 ft. What sort of tank mates would be suitable for him when he grows and should I get hem sooner rather than later. I'm interested in clown knife fish and pacu. I'm absolutely buzzing to finally have one and I can't wait to watch him grow.

20160705_192521(1)-1.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK :) How large is the hospital tank, I would advise not to get a Pacu or Clown knife will outgrow the tank actually need to be in tanks 1000's of gallons for life. Btw your Aro will have to have a bigger aquarium atleast minimum 3ft wide for Aro to turn comfortably. :)

Reactions: Owens

bigarofan91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2016
Thanks :) I'm glad to be a member. Thankyou for the advise. My father in law is building the tank for me from acrylic as he works at an acrylic manufacturers. I will pass on the message later thankyou. The hospital tank is 100 litres with a foot print of 1 metre by 18inch he only uses half of the tank this was my main tank. Do you have any other suggestions? I have a a royal pleco, l190 but I'm thinking I would need a carnivorous bottom feeder to collect the arowana's mess as he is a scruffy eater lol. Also do you know why he is so blue. This photo makes him darker blue than normal. But the top of its body is blue while the bottom is silver. I thought silver aro's only had blue tints in there fins and a little in there scales

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks :) I'm glad to be a member. Thankyou for the advise. My father in law is building the tank for me from acrylic as he works at an acrylic manufacturers. I will pass on the message later thankyou. The hospital tank is 100 litres with a foot print of 1 metre by 18inch he only uses half of the tank this was my main tank. Do you have any other suggestions? I have a a royal pleco, l190 but I'm thinking I would need a carnivorous bottom feeder to collect the arowana's mess as he is a scruffy eater lol. Also do you know why he is so blue. This photo makes him darker blue than normal. But the top of its body is blue while the bottom is silver. I thought silver aro's only had blue tints in there fins and a little in there scales
The blue tint varies probably from diet, mood, and lighting. :)

Reactions: bigarofan91

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Btw Aro will grow fast you maybe ok until aquarium is built, hopefully soon. There are larger catfish that would help in devouring leftovers like Raphael type catfish. Megalodorus Irwinni is a favorite for me personally but will slowly outgrow a 180 gallon aquarium.

bigarofan91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2016
Hi :). I like the way it looks :). The new aquarium should be read next week. I have the stand built already and waiting. Thanks I'll have a look at some of those cats. I know my last has just got some cats in. They are in the same tank as the arowana's too so maybe I'll go with one of them :)

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
If you want him to be with tankmates, I suggest you introduce him to other fish (big and quick growing enough not to become a meal) soon. Fish like silver dollars are good dithers to help him not turn into a killer and learn to tolerate others. They all have their own personalities and while one may be calm another may be insane. Silver aro's are one of the most docile aro's but it is not unheard of them to not tolerate tankmates or snap and kill tankmates. I would introduce tankmates soon and be quick to get him off of any live foods if you are feeding live (live foods increase aggression and can harbor diseases and parasites) and onto pellets and/or frozen. Just like with any fish be religious with water changes and maintenance and he will be an awesome wet pet. Your silver aro looks very nice btw. Grats and welcome to MFK!

bigarofan91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2016
If you want him to be with tankmates, I suggest you introduce him to other fish (big and quick growing enough not to become a meal) soon. Fish like silver dollars are good dithers to help him not turn into a killer and learn to tolerate others. They all have their own personalities and while one may be calm another may be insane. Silver aro's are one of the most docile aro's but it is not unheard of them to not tolerate tankmates or snap and kill tankmates. I would introduce tankmates soon and be quick to get him off of any live foods if you are feeding live (live foods increase aggression and can harbor diseases and parasites) and onto pellets and/or frozen. Just like with any fish be religious with water changes and maintenance and he will be an awesome wet pet. Your silver aro looks very nice btw. Grats and welcome to MFK!
Thanks for the advice I like the look of silver dollars thankyou thankyou I joke his colour stays like that :) thanks I'm glad to be part of mfk :)

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
They all have their own personalities and while one may be calm another may be insane. Silver aro's are one of the most docile aro's but it is not unheard of them to not tolerate tankmates or snap and kill tankmates.
So much this. My Jardini was as gentle as they get, but my silver... oh dear it was mean. Which turns out to be the opposite of what people experienced xD

KQizzle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2016
So much this. My Jardini was as gentle as they get, but my silver... oh dear it was mean. Which turns out to be the opposite of what people experienced xD
yeah, jardinis have a big reputation of being aggressive!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store